Get your Tickets!

Choir recruits prospective male singers at Guys Only Sing Night

By Alicia Diaz
News Editor
Photo by Alicia Diaz

Elementary and middle school choir students performed on Metea’s auditorium stage for the first of many times at the Guys Only Sing Night. The boys of Metea Valley’s choral program hosted the event last Thursday to recruit younger students and encourage them to continue singing throughout high school.

The event brought together over one hundred singers, ranging from males in fourth grade to seniors in high school. “It’s a great event to showcase Metea music to those thinking about joining the programs,” senior Grady Raines said.

Prior to the night, the high school boys rehearsed songs that the younger students had been practicing. At the event, they then had a workshop where they learned a song from the musical “Newsies” as a group, and performed an informal concert for the parents at the end of night.

“We prepared for it by learning music about brotherhood and camaraderie to show the future of Metea that it’s about not just about the music, but how we connect to it,” junior Ethan St. Germain said.

While the younger students benefited from the opportunity to have a sneak peek of where they may be in several years, the high school students also learned from the experience.

“It’s a great bonding day for the current men in choir. We’re not always in the same choir so it’s one of the few times a year we can all sing together. It helps to bring that feeling of camaraderie,” Raines said.

Raines and St. Germain agreed the event went very well. Not only did elementary and middle school students benefit from collaborating with older singers, but both parents and students saw the output of Metea’s well-rounded choir program.

High school students believe that continuing with choir can be more than just an elective or a pastime for younger students. “Being involved in music early helped me build a base of self confidence and discipline that I don’t think I would have had without music, so I believe that it can have similar effects on all kids,” St. Germain said.