Get your Tickets!

New Fox Valley Mall policy draws criticism among students

On Dec. 26, 2016, a brawl between multiple teenagers broke out in Fox Valley Mall, which drew local attention. Since then, Fox Valley Mall has implemented a parental escort policy in hopes to reduce the chances of a commotion happening again. However, the new policy has not gone without criticism among students.

“I think it’s kind of ridiculous,” senior Lisa Harrington said. “Honestly, people just went there to hang out. I guess now [the policy] is kind of a way of telling people that they lost their privileges because others took advantage of them.”

The policy in question states that on certain days (known as Parental Escort Policy days, or ‘PEP days’) from 4 p.m. until closing time, children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult 21 and older, and that anyone older than 18 should come prepared with ID, such as a state-issued ID or driver’s license.

“The safety of our guests, employees, and tenants at Fox Valley Mall is our top priority,” Fox Valley Mall general manager Scott Samson said in a statement in a NBC News interview. “While we are not able to speak about the mall’s security measures in detail, please know that we work closely with local and national law enforcement on all matters relating to mall safety.”

The policy in question. Photo by Ethan Meyers.

The new policy has already taken full effect, as students have already been turned away from the mall due to age.

“They asked me for my ID before, entering, and since I’m only 17, I wasn’t allowed in,” senior Meghana Chaganti said. “The officer explained to me that this was a ‘heavy traffic’ day, so minors wouldn’t be able to come inside after four. I was kind of annoyed to be honest, because I needed to go to the mall to buy a gift for my friend.”

While it’s likely Fox Valley implemented the new Parental Escort Policy in response to the post-Christmas fights, some believe it’s the wrong solution to the issue at hand.

“I think they’re trying to find a way to make it a safer place, but I don’t think they’re doing it in the right manner. I think the problem is that they don’t have enough security around there. You see two or three security guards walking around, but I don’t think it’s enough to enforce the level of security that they want,” Harrington added.

“I understand the idea behind this policy, however, it may not be the most convenient thing to some kids,” Harrington said.

Students look to base their decisions to shop at Fox Valley Mall around the new policy. “I’m still going to go only if I need to, but this policy is going to affect when I go and who I go with,” Chaganti added.

• N

Norah GreenNov 30, 2018 at 10:09 am

Even though the event that happened last year was unacceptable, I personally feel that they should add more security, not restricting the age limit because no one would never follow the rule anyhow.

• S

Some Random Guy You Don't KnowFeb 10, 2017 at 7:41 am

meh, just ignore the rule. I really don’t care.

• L

Laugh Out LoudJan 24, 2017 at 8:43 pm

I think this is totally unfair to others. People use this mall as a place to communicate and hang out, not a prison camp, for GODS SAKES. I like this article very much.

• C

Carl KrampJan 12, 2017 at 9:05 am

I believe this policy is unfair and biased against children. As our frontal lobe, which is responsible for decision making, isn’t fully developed until 21, I believe no one under 21 should be allowed into the mall without parental supervision on these PEP days.

• C

Carl KrampJan 17, 2017 at 12:44 pm

Actually Carl many 21 year olds are still in college or have just recently gotten out of highschool. While their brain may be fully developed, they don’t have much life experience as adults yet and thus haven’t fully matured. This is why I believe no one under 30 should be allowed at the mall without supervision on these PEP days.

• C

Carl KrampJan 19, 2017 at 9:33 am

Well Carl, by 30 nobody has truly experienced all the complexities that life has to offer, I propose that nobody under the age of 80 should be able to enter the premises unattended. These old folks are fully developed, and couldn’t even fight if they wanted to.

• K

Killian KennyJan 20, 2017 at 7:24 am

Even with full brain development we are still young and bound to make really dumb decisions based on having no life experience or (for men) the rush of testosterone making us arrogant.

• C

Carl KrampJan 20, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Actually Carl many 30 year olds have only been in the workforce for a couple years, and are still trying to work out how to live on their own. While their brain may have fully developed by 21, and they have matured by 30, they still don’t have the wisdom that old age brings. Therefore, I believe no one under 95 should be allowed at the mall without supervision on these PEP days. After all, with so many years of experience, they can’t possibly make bad decisions.

• K

Killian KennyJan 12, 2017 at 7:32 am

This is a complete load of crap! Why should all of us lose the RIGHT to freely walk in a PUBLIC building. Not to mention that the mall is seen by teenagers as a hangout place and/or a place to get a summer job. Now we can’t do this because some morons decided to have it out in the cafeteria.