Students will now be able to change their Single Sign On password

Many students at Metea Valley have expressed interest in changing their randomly generated password, and District 204 has accepted this criticism. Starting on May 3 at 2:45 p.m., students will have the ability to set and manage their own school password.

The Single Sign On program was created and designed to streamline the student’s online resources and experience. “The district decided to give students the ability to manage their passwords in order to give them more freedom and control,” Instructional Technology Coordinator Tania Moneim said.

While this change is mostly for the convince of students, the district “also recognizes that password management is a skill that students will have to learn as most of our lives are now online.” Giving people more choice is always a good thing, but D204 is also using this opportunity to teach students about managing their lives in the future.

What follows is an official statement by District 204. “Starting at 2:45 p.m. on Wednesday, May 3, students should log into the Single Sign On page and begin the process. The process includes selecting and answering a set of security questions for the purpose of password retrieval. Students will then be able to set their own password. Their password will have to meet the same criteria as our passwords (8 characters and must contain 3 of the 4: capital letter, lowercase letter, number, symbol).”

View Comments (3)

• A

AnonymousMay 16, 2017 at 10:49 am

this is a great option for students but I don’t think that it should be required for everyone to change their password every 60 or so days or for the password to have so many requirements. This may just be my opinion, but I don’t think anyone would try to hack into someone’s account for a presentation on Spanish paintings.

Reply
    • A

AnonymousMay 31, 2017 at 4:39 pm

While that may be true, some kids could go on another persons account and view their work. Suppose the teacher has assigned a report and the hacker can’t think of any ideas. So then he can just log into the targets account and see their work and maybe copy them.

Reply
  • C

ChromaMay 4, 2017 at 8:20 am

In the second last paragraph, you wrote “for the convince of students”
    Neat article : ^)

Reply