Filed under Spotlight

New lunch policies introduced to improve the commons

Photo by Maddie Crabtree

On the first day of school during every lunch period, staff announced new lunch period expectations. These included remaining seated throughout the period, not leaving the lunchroom once you’re in it, and a bigger clean up effort.

“The kids that are doing what they’re supposed to and want to really become the best they can academically, as well as socially, have that opportunity without being interrupted,” Assistant Principal Kimberly Maloney said. There were more teachers walking through the hallways, more staff monitoring the commons during lunch periods, and faculty members came around at the end of the period to help throw away garbage.

This new set of expectations came from a place of wanting the whole school to improve, a part of the “Everything Matters” initiative this school year.

LMC Director, Deborah Turner, is excited about the new change. “In the past, you couldn’t finish work [in the LMC] because of distractions,” Turner said, “I have students saying how great it is in here now.”

While staff may appreciate the changes, some students feel the opposite. The students in disagreement with the changes argue that it’s less about wanting to aimlessly walk around, and more about being able to do what you need to do.

“I think it’s completely unfair. You should be able to fluidly move around the school just in case you need to see a teacher or talk to the counselor and you weren’t planning on doing that before,” Junior Triya Mahapatra said.

Administrators offered a solution to this problem. For students who want to eat in the Commons and then go to the LMC, there is a special pass available. “It’s one extra step that kids have to do,” Maloney said. “All they have to do is email Mrs. Maloney. I check with the dean’s office, so if I have someone that shows up late for a class every single day, they’re not going to be eligible for that pass.”

As for the larger presence of teachers and staff in the Commons, it was intended to increase students’ safety during lunch. “We’ve had some altercations or situations where students haven’t gotten along and a lot of times those unfortunate incidents have happened in the Commons,” Dean Matthew Walpole, dean of the class of 2019 said. “So we wanted to target that area and make some changes.”

Administrators believed that keeping students seated and having staff present in the Commons decreases the chances of such altercations from occurring. “We’re being proactive instead of reactive,” Maloney said.

For information on getting a lunch pass, email [email protected]

19 Responses to “New lunch policies introduced to improve the commons”

1. Deep Fried Jimmy Johns Turkey Tacos on September 12th, 2017 9:08 am

How do you expect me to eat my Deep Fried Jimmy Johns Turkey Tacos and work on my groundbreaking indie movie script. I mean I usually eat my artery clogging Tacos and then go into the library and hide in the shelves so none of the media dogs can steal my script. Do you expect ME the soon to be next big name in the movie industry to work in such a pigsty that is the commons as I belive you call it. I scoff that you think Id commit such an abhorrent feat.

Pablo Piqueso Reply:

I cant believe you cant work around the rule, pack your own lunch and eat it later, its not that big of a deal.

Pablo Piqueso Reply:

Or just email Mrs. Maloney about the pass thing

Illu B Reply:

You sound incredibly pretentious, just FYI. It’s really not that big of a deal, my dude. Like someone else said, just email Mrs. Maloney, and she’ll hit you up with a pass.

Parker Reply:

Unless you late to class

2. Dusty Dindu on September 12th, 2017 9:47 am

So why do we need to choose between eating lunch or going to the library? I never really see the altercations in which need to hinder other students based on eating their lunch or whether to work. We were allowed to go after we eat our lunch and at least get our work done. In general this is not a rule in which is seen as more of a reactionary action and it isn’t proactive as this doesn’t benefit everyone.

Parker Reply:

They are talking about all those fights last year and the year before. Like 2 years ago there were like 4 fights in one week.

3. :l on September 12th, 2017 10:09 am

These new policies don’t really affect me i never go to the LMC during lunch and a teacher told me we are allowed to go to recourse centers so i really am not worried.

4. red on September 12th, 2017 1:56 pm

going to be honest here. i’m not sure how the staying in a seat thing is meant to help us? academically, moving seats makes sense if you need to find a quiet studying place, and staying around the same five kids in one seat all the time isn’t going to help us socially. i mean i can see not letting everyone run around at once but nobody moving at all? there should be a different system where kids can move around but it’s not a chaotic free-for-all

Ayaan Haq Reply:

Wait.. is this some sort of joke? I never even knew this school had an LMC to be honest…

John Kovalev Reply:

I know right! I just found out yesterday that we have school bathrooms!

Parker Reply:

Are you new to the school? And the LMC is like right smack in the middle of the school.

MY MIND Reply:

SAME G, JUST LAST WEEK I WAS DRIVING TO WHAT I THOUGHT WAS AN EMPTY LOT, BUT IT WAS ACTUALLY A HIGH SCHOOL CALLED METEA… SMH

5. Parker on September 14th, 2017 10:13 pm

I think these policies are pretty dumb, last years policies were just fine. A lot of people were perfectly happy with what the system was like last year, and the years before that. I think just showing your ID is perfectly fine.

6. this rule is dumb on September 15th, 2017 11:13 am

Okay this rule is dumb. In no way will preventing kids from going to the library and lunch in the same period going to prevent fights. Honestly my previous 3 years at this school have been alright since I could eat and hangout with friends then go do my homework or something in lunch. Now in my senior year they take this most basic of freedoms away from us students for no good reason. I very disappointed that the staff thought this would be alright.

C28 Reply:

It’s called bureaucracy, its a system of total control, your told what to do, where to go, who to love (yes, this is an actual rule, look for it in the handbook), and the such. You don’t matter in bureaucracy, you are a numerical value with no value. Enjoy it : )

Someone Reply:

It’s not a bureaucracy, it’s more like a totalitarian policy

7. Lauren on September 25th, 2017 10:35 am

This rule is pretty ridiculous. If for some reason a student finds out suddenly that they have to do work during their lunch period, and can’t send an email in time, they’re condemned to either not eat lunch, or not be able to do their work. It’s frankly absurd that a school would make moves to actually stop students from eating lunch if they want to be productive and get work done in the library.

8. Someone on October 6th, 2017 3:48 pm

This rule hasn’t prevented any of those fights, already in like the first 2 weeks of school fights started breaking out. And now there are all these staff walking around the hallways like once I tried to go to the bathroom and one of the staff members is like HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING? I’m like i’m going to the bathroom… shes like YOU NEED A PASS! but I’m going to the bathroom NO YOU NEED A PASS GO BACK TO YOUR CLASS OR IMA SEND YOU TO THE DEANS! And then another time I was literally just going 3 doors down to get something I printed out and there’s another staff member there hes like WHAT ARE YOU DOING WHY YOU OUTTA CLASS?! Im like I’m just going 3 doors down to print something and hes like WHERES YOUR PASS Im like I don’t need one I’m just going 3 doors down hes like YES YOU DO GET A PASS NOW OR IMA SEND YOU TO THE DEANS! and then another time I barely even walked out the door and supervisor was passing by the classroom and already hes just like You have a pass? And I barely even walked out the door.

• New lunch policies introduced to improve the commons

Spotlight

Students express mixed opinions on how Veteran’s Day should be honored

Spotlight

Afghanistan Veteran talks about his service to Metea English students

Spotlight

I Am presents: Beyond the Mask

Spotlight

A behind-the-scenes look at Audrey II: the “man-eating plant”

Spotlight

How old is too old to go trick or treating?

10.27.17 Mane

Profiles

10.13.17 Mane

Spotlight

Eight Chicago Blackhawks games every fan should watch

Spotlight

IPhone 8 and X: is the upgrade truly worth it?

Spotlight

Gold out brings awareness for pediatric cancer among mustangs