Filed under Spotlight

A behind-the-scenes look at Audrey II: the “man-eating plant”

When theatre director Nathan Bramstedt chose the timeless horror comedy “Little Shop of Horrors” as Metea’s first ever fall musical, he knew it would be a significant addition to the school’s collection of diverse theatrical productions.

The show features a significantly smaller cast and pit compared to previous productions such as “Aida” and “The Addams Family”. However, are still several aspects which have made the production tough to master, yet entertaining for both the cast and fellow students alike.

One interesting challenge to this production is that it is Metea’s first ever without a non-human character. Through the power of animatronics and puppetry, Audrey II, the show’s “man-eating plant”, is brought to life throughout four different phases.

Due to the show’s plot, there are four different versions of the character which gradually become larger throughout the production. The first two are mechanical robots, followed by two puppets portrayed by freshman Aidan Jaramillo: the largest being almost “as large as a car”, as Bramstedt put it.

“Physically, moving its mouth takes a lot of strength and coordinating that with the actor’s voice takes a lot of timing,” Bramstedt said.

Both Jaramillo and junior Zenia Walker (Audrey’s voice actor) have spent weeks preparing to bring the plant to life. Although the two ultimately have different duties, Jaramillo needs to know his cues and memorize Walker’s lines in order to carefully coordinate with one another.

“[Jaramillo] needs to listen and follow the pacing of the actor’s voice,” Bramstedt added.

Off-stage, Walker has an equally important responsibility of providing a voice and carefully watching Jaramillo’s motions. Located in the house left alcove, she admits that while she doesn’t have the same on-stage connection with the characters, it is still important to command a presence and bring the same amount of life to the character.

“It’s a lot of practice, there were times when I had to come right next to the puppet,” Walker said.

The three shows take place tonight, tomorrow and Saturday, all at 7 p.m. Tickets are $5 for all students (both Metea and non-Metea) and $13 for adults.

Connor Smith, Spotlight Editor
Connor Smith is a senior and the Stampede’s spotlight editor. He is thrilled to return for his second year on staff, as he previously served as sports editor during the 2016-17 school year. Aside from the Stampede, Connor also is a member of Metea’s Chamber Choir and Madrigals group, in addition to being a FreshConnect...
Kennedy Homan, Graphic Designer
I am currently a junior entering my first year of journalism as a graphic designer. Outside of school I attend Gamers Club and Improv on the weekly basis, and when I am not attending a club, I develop my drawing skills while selling commissions through online communities. I also love ducks.

3 Responses to “A behind-the-scenes look at Audrey II: the “man-eating plant””

1. Duck on November 2nd, 2017 7:16 am

I can’t wait to see this show! Not just for the story, but for the new creative grounds that the Metea theater department is making with the puppet. A beautiful set is one thing, but having to push your limits with the first show including the main puppet character is the thing I’m really excited for.

2. Chroma on November 2nd, 2017 1:49 pm

That’s some really nice artwork!

3. lembergini on November 6th, 2017 7:59 pm

I wonder who made the robotic plants

• A behind-the-scenes look at Audrey II: the “man-eating plant”

Spotlight

District 204 refuses to comply with new law concerning feminine products

Galleries

Gallery: Mustang Improv Show

Spotlight

Chicks provide hands-on learning for genetics classes

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: House of Representatives passes controversial sex trafficking laws

Galleries

Gallery: Downtown Aurora First Fridays

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: Mississippi passes the most restrictive abortion act in the nation

Galleries

Gallery: National Student Walkout

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: Defining the modern feminist

Spotlight

Orchesis hosts the annual Under the Lights Showcase

Spotlight

Super Bowl halftime show continues to create controversy