Filed under Opinions

Join Newspaper: A letter from a senior

I’ve been in Newspaper for three years, so it might be a little weird that this is my first article.  I’ve spent my time on the newspaper staff as a photographer, but I thought it was time to write an article to share how much this class has meant to me.

I have had some of the best experiences in my four years of high school in that class.  It’s a class that has given me a chance to express my perspective through my photography, and I’ve been able to watch my friends express their perspectives through their writing.

One great thing that I’ve always loved about the class is the fact that I met new people who are from different grades who I wouldn’t normally have classes with, or just someone who I wouldn’t normally be friends with. The friends that I have made in Newspaper have become some of my closest most trusted friends and I would even consider them a family. I’m in an environment where I get to learn what it’s like to have real deadlines and work with other people to meet those deadlines.

It’s also a class where my voice is always heard and I can rant on any topic I need to. You must follow the two rules though: 1. Don’t get Mr. Page fired. 1b. Don’t be racist 2. Get your stuff done. If you can follow these three rules you’re golden.

I personally think that everyone should take the class. You don’t even have to be a writer! You can be a photographer (like me!) or a graphics designer. I think that people should really consider taking Newspaper because it’s a class that I will always remember and I’m so glad that I was lucky enough to hear about it and take it my sophomore year. If you’d like to join newspaper please apply!

About the Photographer
Connor Smith, Spotlight Editor
Connor Smith is a senior and the Stampede’s spotlight editor. He is thrilled to return for his second year on staff, as he previously served as sports editor during the 2016-17 school year. Aside from the Stampede, Connor also is a member of Metea’s Chamber Choir and Madrigals group, in addition to being a FreshConnect...

4 Responses to “Join Newspaper: A letter from a senior”

1. darkstripe on January 26th, 2018 8:19 am

y’all out here in the comments section act like you’re not allowed to speak your opinion or something. your chance is literally right here in front of you

axiet Reply:

Of course we have the option to join Newspaper, I don’t disagree. The problem with this is simply because I don’t have enough time or electives. Otherwise I would gladly join.

I don’t want to sacrifice classes that I’m passionate in. Unfortunately this is not my passion. I simply like putting out my opinion, but I’m not sacrificing much time or energy into this incomparison of sacrificing an elective.

I do hope you understand, for you too could join and don’t have to be under an alias.

darkstripe Reply:

Hmm, that’s true. However, I won’t be able to join either for a few reasons:
    1. I enjoy my spot here as a commenter, it’s casual but it’s a way of spreading word. It doesn’t have the strains of responsibility tied to it.
    2. I kind of like having a degree of anonymity. I’m pretty open about being Darkstripe here usually, but I do enjoy having a nickname rather than my actual name.
    3. I’m taking creative writing classes this year anyway.
    4. Metea Media obviously has enough liberals as it is, and I feel it needs to be an even mix of conservatives and liberals in order to not look one-sided and biased. I would just make it even more unbalanced than it is.

I really do feel however that there’s a few commentors here that’d be a natural fit in the class, but given the deadline’s passed pretty much at the time I’m writing this who knows.

2. Lauren on January 26th, 2018 10:09 am

Already applied 💯

• Join Newspaper: A letter from a senior

Opinions

North Korea continues to be untrustworthy as planned peace talks remain in jeopardy

Opinions

Trump’s withdrawal from Iran Deal will have dire consequences

Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Life with Social Anxiety

Opinions

Patronizing the Mentally Disabled Should Not Be Acceptable in Our Society

Opinions

Back in Iraq: How the Syria strikes are the start of the next War on Terror

Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Speak up about sexual harassment

Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: The Dickey Amendment

Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Walkout or political rally?

Opinions

School shootings shouldn’t be a common occurrence

Opinions

The stock market’s instability may create economic hardship

Join Newspaper: A letter from a senior