Inconsistent Deans cause confusion among students

Kennedy Homman

Kennedy Homman

It’s the night before school and you are picking out your outfit. You spend at least 15 minutes trying on clothes to find the perfect fit that makes you feel confident. You even wake up a few minutes early to make sure that everything is perfect, only to have your bubble bursted when you arrive at school. From multiple personal experiences, it is the most humiliating and embarrassing moment when your dean comes up to you and tells you that your clothing is too provocative.

But that isn’t the main problem that I am trying to get across. The problem isn’t with the dress code, but more of how inconsistent the deans are with enforcing it. As a freshman, I would constantly see upperclassmen around school wearing clothing that I thought was allowed, only to find out the hard way that it is not. So why is it that some students get dress coded for wearing clothing that other students can wear without getting penalized? It’s not because of special treatment or “favorites.” It’s about poor communication among the deans.

Deans are in charge of enforcing the laws of Metea Valley, deciding punishments for rules that have been broken, and teaching behavior among the students of the class they are responsible for. They lay out expectations for students so that they can be successful in and out of high school. Deans work hard to keep the students, staff, and guests safe while they are at Metea Valley.

Each class has a different dean that follows them throughout their high school career, getting to know each and every student during that time. It’s obvious that because each dean is different, they are going to have different styles of teaching and enforcing the rules. One dean might be more strict on making sure students have a pass while in the hallway and another might be more hard on dress coding students. My question is how is that fair to the students? For one class to get away with doing something and the other class to be punished for that same act is not only unfair to the students, but it also causes confusion on what is actually allowed.

As a freshman last year, I looked up to the upperclassmen for guidance on what is right and wrong. If I saw a senior using the vending machines during lunch, I automatically assumed that I was allowed to do so as well. If I saw a junior wearing an off the shoulder top or having their midriff exposed, I immediately believed that it was ok for me too, only to find out by getting dresscoded that it is not allowed. I was confused and upset as to why I was being called out when I repeatedly saw other students wearing identical items as me. To be fair, maybe I was violating the dress code, but so was the senior I saw the other day, so why was I getting talked to and the other students I saw were left unbothered.

This is because of the inconsistency among the deans. I had a chance to talk with Dean Klappauf on why this was happening. He mentioned that he doesn’t stop girls very often because that’s not usually what he is looking for when he is in the halls. “If multiple teachers bring it to my attention then I might ask the student to come down to my office to talk about the situation, rather than embarrass her in front of her peers, but I wouldn’t say I stop girls in the halls very often.”

Immediately after this was said I could see the inconsistency. From experience, I can say confidently that Dean Rowe has no difficulty stopping someone in the halls in front of their fellow classmates to tell them that what they are wearing is inappropriate. This could be because their teaching styles differ greatly, but that is still no excuse for why their approaches to situations are drastically different.

I was also informed that all of the deans and assistant principal, Ms. Maloney, sit down and talk about this very issue. During these meetings, they should touch on the topic of how each dean goes about communicating or enforcing these laws. It creates confusion when some students have to be embarrassed in the halls and others get to to talk about the situation in privacy. The deans need to come together and agree all together on how things should be handled.

The girls of class 2019 are able to get away with wearing things that the girls of class 2020 are penalized for.

If we are going from a male’s perspective, it is not fair towards them either.  Dean Walpole said that he “typically would dress code a male student more often if he see’s them in the hall.” For the guys in the class of 2019, they are out of luck. They get punished more often than not for wearing things that males from the class of 2017 can wear and get away with.

School is supposed to be an equal learning environment, and for other students to be able to get away with things that other students get scolded for doing is not equal whatsoever. Dress code is just one of the many issues that we have where the deans show inconsistency. I am not trying to bash the dress code, or make it seem like its the deans are the bad guys by dress coding us. I am just trying to make it clear that the way the deans go about disciplining students needs to start being more consistent. In order for Metea to be united, we have to be treated equally amongst the grade levels. Deans need to start touching on the topic of consistency during the meetings they have, so that we, the students of Metea Valley Highschool,  don’t have to suffer confusion on what’s allowed and what’s not.

29 Responses to “Inconsistent Deans cause confusion among students”

1. Reality Doctor on February 8th, 2018 12:59 pm

This is gonna be a good day for comments.

darkstripe Reply:

the comments here are gonna be golden, ngl

UNREALITY DOCTOR Reply:

Reality Doctor Reply:

Wow man we get it, don’t impersonate me.

2. Hello on February 8th, 2018 2:14 pm

It does occur to you that while the Deans are assigned a specific class to supervise and discipline that the rules they choose to enforce in the halls apply to all those that they may see. In my four years here I have seen Dean Rowe dress code girls and guys from my year and other years to which she was not assigned. The Deans may know the kids from their year better but I have yet to see that familiarity or lack thereof prevent proper disciplinary action in a case of a rule violation. To clarify, I am in no way arguing in favor of a dress code I am merely treating it as what it is, an existing rule which I disagree with but have no power to change. The students who knowingly break the dress code each day are all taking a risk that they may come across Dean Rowe during their daily traversal of the school, you included. Knowingly breaking a rule, being punished for it and then immediately deciding it must be a problem with the system is so remarkably sophomoric (what a convenient word considering your class) it’s upsetting. Again, as a point of clarification this in response to this singular incident and in no way a commentary upon racial, social or fiscal inequality present (or not present depending upon your own particular views) in the world today. Our Deans have busy schedules and demanding responsibilities that in my opinion certainly trump your petty complaints. Thank you by the way for making mention of other issues with no further evidence given, at least it spared me from reading more of what you had to say. Forcing our Deans to follow strict unbending rules to the letter with no space for flexibility and better judgement in order to ensure equal punishment is the first step in removing the humanity from the equation, an action I strongly protest.
    A genuinely concerned individual

P.S.-I should hope that the males of the class of 2017 are free from the censure of our deans, though I suppose it would be a rather impressive feat on the part of our deans if they were able to enforce school rules on individuals sometimes hundreds if not thousands of miles away at their college of choice.
    P.P.S.-If you were not able to grasp from the literal daily announcements last year that the vending machines were not to be used during lunch periods then I do believe being dress coded may be the least of your problems.

Wow Reply:

Imagine seeing a metea media article and responding with an actual essay, with two (2) post scripts
    LMAO relax mate.

Balkin Tuffle Reply:

feels bad man

Hello Reply:

Whiny underclassmen irritate me and typing that comment was far more entertaining than listening to my classmates complain about the difficulties of non-calculator math. I do see your point though. Happy Monday!

K Reply:

bruh chill

3. Reality Doctor on February 8th, 2018 3:22 pm

This article is somewhat unrealistic

Reality Doctor Reply:

Still good day for comments

4. Student on February 8th, 2018 11:58 pm

Honestly, this just sounds like whining. I understand that sometimes dress codes can be annoying but it’s really not an issue here. If you really are concerned more about how you look rather than actually learning at school there’s something wrong. It’s never that serious

student Reply:

And you’re more concerned about learning than what to wear at school? You are most definitely not. Most children at this school are more concerned about socializing, gossip, what to wear, impressing others, and being with their friends more than getting an education. Let’s be realistic and accurate. You’re whining, Aminah isn’t.

nikhil Reply:

Then what is the use of coming to school if most children at this school cares more about gossiping , socializing, and what to wear?

Wow Reply:

Are you kidding me?
    The point of school IS to learn. Yes I am more concerned about learning than just socializing. That is how it should be.
    Your parents don’t pay taxes for you to chit chat with your friends do they? No. You’re here to get an education, that should be your priority.
    It is immature to say kids care more about gossip and what to say rather than school itself, how does that reflect on your grades? How does that look to colleges? I’m sure not great. You can have a social life, of course, but during school, that really shouldn’t be your priority.

Reality Doctor Reply:

No, school should be done for…

5. Kyle Smart on February 9th, 2018 10:15 am

I understand the frustration with inconsistency in rules and how they are enforced. My main advice would be to play it safe and don’t tow the edge of acceptable and unacceptable. The dress codes are there for a reason and that is to create a school environment free of distraction and one that promotes academics. Young people with adolescent brains and hormones running wild do not need the distraction of provocative clothing. Dress modestly and I think you will find that you have more respect for yourself, and other people have more respect for you as well. I understand wanting to express yourself but there is a time and a place and an academic institution is not the time, nor place to look for attention by dressing provocatively.

Raniyah Naylor Reply:

I applaud this comment dude.

shaking my head Reply:

personally, i disagree with this comment because last year i was wearing jeans and a student took a picture of my behind without my knowledge. teenagers can be provoked no matter what is worn. “young people with adolescent brains and hormones running wild” need to be taught how to control themselves instead of acting inappropriately and blaming it on the clothing of another student. another time i was wearing a romper, i had worn it to school before and never was dresscoded for it. on this day i was dresscoded and humiliated in front of a crowd by a dean, who backed it up by saying she was “looking out for me” because she “saw a group of boys staring at my butt” i shouldn’t have to dress a certain way for my peers to be “have respect” for me. teach students self control. stop teaching girls to blame themselves for other student’s inappropriate actions.

JC Woods Reply:

I think what the person is trying to say it that they don’t want to add on the problem already at hand. Sorry someone took a picture of butt, but it would’ve been worst if you came in here with some booty shorts or see through leggings. I’m not saying that dressing appropriate will solve ALL the problems, but it covers majority of them.

[Reply]

shaking my head even more Reply:

Again I disagree with your statement. Dressing a certain way will not cover the majority of the problems. It wouldn’t have made a difference what I was wearing, those experiences were hurtful and embarrassing. I don’t feel safe here. School is supposed to be somewhere where the students can feel safe. You shouldn’t have to dress a certain way to feel safe.
    And I shouldn’t have to come to school posted up in bermuda shorts lookin like a middle aged mom because my shorts don’t reach my fingertips.
    Bottom line is, if you are sexualizing women, and using their clothing as an excuse, YOU’RE the problem. SEXUAL HARASSMENT is the problem. Teach boys to respect women. Teach girls to know their worth. The dress code is the least of these problems.

hmmm Reply:

i wish everyone had this mentality

6. Killian Kenny on February 12th, 2018 8:30 am

People wonder why I dress the same way everyday. Well, this is the primary reason; deans being inconsistent in enforcing the dress code (also the fact that I don’t like dressing in most other clothes).

7. no on February 12th, 2018 9:07 am

If you keep getting dress coded why are you breaking the dress code? also the dress code is in the front of your assignment notebook if you’re that confused. The entire way you went about “If I get punished, EVERY GIRL SHOULD GET PUNISHED” isn’t nice at all. Maybe bring a cardigan to school and cover up when you’re in the halls if you’re so vehemently against getting dress coded. And I understand that you would look to the upperclassmen, but it is not their responsibility to be perfect angels. We’re students too, and we’re only separated by a few years. It’s not our job to set an example.

8. Yag evah mom ruoy on February 12th, 2018 10:10 am

Huaaaaa

9. um on February 12th, 2018 10:52 am

To what end? will seeing every girl get dresscoded in the hall make you happy??

10. Balkin Tuffle on February 12th, 2018 12:10 pm

1st: Just because someone else is doing it doesn’t mean you are allowed to as well. That’s just common sense, not in the sense of unfairness or “right and wrong.”
    2nd: Just because this dean does something rather than another dean doesn’t mean there’s a lack of communication. They either just let it slide because it’s beneath them or they just don’t care. (BTW This doesn’t happen often.)
    Because I can say with complete certainty after watching many deans do what they do, the deans will enforce some rules more frequently than others: but overall they all enforce the same rules on a day to day basis.

11. De'Aaron Fox on February 12th, 2018 12:55 pm

aminah you trippin trippin big fella ON LORD nem

12. Wow on February 12th, 2018 5:14 pm

The way you argue this is saying “If I get dress coded, everyone should!” that ideology is almost communistic and definitely obnoxious.

• Inconsistent Deans cause confusion among students

Issue 3: February 13, 2018

• Inconsistent Deans cause confusion among students

Sports

Weekly Sports Update: 2/5 – 2/9

• Inconsistent Deans cause confusion among students

Spotlight

Super Bowl halftime show continues to create controversy

• Inconsistent Deans cause confusion among students

Entertainment

Liam’s Tunes: February

• Inconsistent Deans cause confusion among students

Spotlight

MV After Hours

• Inconsistent Deans cause confusion among students

Sports

Ian Ridgway creates history at IHSA State

Your World. Your Stories. Everyday.
Inconsistent Deans cause confusion among students