Filed under News

Stress busters in the library help students unwind before finals

Noelle Smagala

Noelle Smagala

Noelle Smagala

With finals week just around the corner, the Metea Valley LMC has started a new project with the aim of helping reduce stress and relax students heading into finals. LMC director Amy Madzinski explained the thought process behind the decision to start offering these stress busters. “We realized that the week before finals, kids are probably stressed. So, we collected a bunch of activities that are helpful to keep your mind off of things,” Madzinski said.

From the week of Dec. 10-15, students can come in during their lunch period to enjoy a variety of activities. “We have puzzles, sudoku, word games, coloring sheets, supplies to cut snowflakes, and all sorts of other things so that if kids want to take a break from school and do something fun, they can,” Madzinski said.

When asked about who came up with the concept of stress busters, she explained that it was a joint effort. “I had been reading about it this fall, and [LMC Assistant Mary Lynne] Stoller mentioned that we should do it, so we just kind of put our heads together. At the same time, the Mental Health Matters club approached me about doing some things in the LMC in regards to stress, and so we all collaborated. Some of the ideas came from us, and some from them,” Madzinski said.

Madzinski explained that the goal of the stress busters was to create “a place for kids so that they can get their minds of everything going on in their lives, and take a break.” Looking to the future, Madzinski and the LMC staff have hopes that the stress busters will become a mainstay in the LMC. “If this is successful, we’ll do them again during next semester’s finals. We’re also interested in possibly holding them once a week next semester, so we would have a designated day where kids can come in and de-stress,” Madzinski said.

If you’re interested in taking some time out of your day to unwind and relax, head to the library during your lunch period any day this week to enjoy some much-needed stress relief.

About the Writer
Lauren Coates, Headlines Reporter

Lauren Coates is a senior and a first year headlines reporter for Metea Media. She loves all things pop culture, including music, TV, movies, and celebrity...

4 Responses to “Stress busters in the library help students unwind before finals”

1. Voltaire on December 13th, 2018 10:10 pm

High school students don’t need coloring books to unwind, that is what the Commons are for. In addition, not that many people use the stressbusters for their intended purpose, at least in my lunch period. In my opinion, the LMC should have kept those tables open for studying and learning.

2. killian kenny on December 14th, 2018 7:32 am

Pretty much every day this “Stress Busters” thing has been going on, I’ve gone into the LMC to build with the LEGO. Every day I go in there just so I can build an 8 wheeled truck of some kind, with blast cannons (if they have the pieces for blast cannons I’m going to use them). I also made a little dragon pet out of smaller pieces too. It always feels nice to let my creative side out and build with LEGO any chance I can get. I may be 18 years old now, but LEGO will always have a special place in my heart.

3. cow on December 14th, 2018 1:43 pm

I went to the lmc to study but guess what I didn’t have space to sit because all the tables were taken for people to play with lego bricks. play lego at home lemme study

4. Kittenz on December 14th, 2018 2:05 pm

Thats cute

• Stress busters in the library help students unwind before finals

News

Boys’ bathrooms closed to curb misuse

News

Teachers celebrate Institute Day with Dupage County

News

Vlog: Inside Mustang 30

News

Metea Student Offers Up Peer Art Class to Provide Unique Learning Opportunities for Students with Special Needs

News

Metea provides free tampons in girls bathrooms in compliance with state law

News

One Week Later

News

Organizational festival engages musicians across the district

News

NEHS hosts Valentine’s letter writing activity

News

SAGA hosts hygiene kit drive

News

Record-breaking polar vortex forces district officials to cancel school