Local gun violence interrupts dismissal procedures in District 204

Six District 204 schools were placed under a hold-and-teach following a shooting in the 2500 block of Leach Drive Tuesday afternoon around 1:30 pm. The victim sustained non-life-threatening injuries, and authorities believe the attack was targeted, not random.

The 22-year-old male victim of the incident was immediately taken to the hospital while police kept searching for the shooter. Since the shooter fled in an unknown direction, nearby schools such as Clow Elementary School, Spring Brook Elementary School, Welch Elementary School, Gregory Middle School, Neuqua Valley High School, and the Birkett Freshman Center were placed on lockdown until 4 p.m.

“It was a little scary, but it was more of just confusion because we didn’t know. We got updates really slow,” Sriya Konchada, a junior at NVHS said. “Some teachers acted as if it was a free period, while others just played movies.”

Anyone with information on this event is encouraged to call the Naperville Police Department at 630-420-6665 and ask for the Investigation Division.

Contributors: Charlie Davidson, Mansi Bajaj, Azaa Battsogt, Sam Patil, Emily Peña, and Venkata Sri Saiveer Chelliboyina