Student government members create awareness about upcoming opportunities to get involved at school

Student+governments+sophomore+class+participating+in+the+spirit+week+which+they+planned.+

Susan Fuhrer

Student government’s sophomore class participating in the spirit week which they planned.

Tanmayi Sharat, Headlines reporter

After the big homecoming dance on Oct. 2, Metea Valley’s student government met to devise plans for new events for the school to increase school bonding experiences. Each grade convened with their respective class representatives to discuss projects that they would like to organize. 

Student government is a student-led organization that is in charge of planning school events: dances such as homecoming or prom and different food drives for the Aurora and Naperville communities. They also organize virtual events like activity fairs to help students get more involved at school. This year, the student government divided itself into four groups by grade level to let students from each grade get more involved in school. Another division that is a part of this organization is “Do More Metea Valley ” (DMMV) which is a community service group. DMMV is in charge of planning service projects like the upcoming food drive.

“We are more focused on making sure that Metea Valley is connected and our sophomore group knows what is going on,” sophomore class representative Kevin Paul said.

One upcoming event that the sophomore class is organizing is a food drive in November to help raise food for some families. To give teachers and their children a chance to celebrate the upcoming holiday, the freshman classes are arranging a Halloween event. The seniors are putting together a movie night for the rest of the senior class as a special event for their last year. 

“What we are trying to do is kind of increase school spirit a little bit more, so actually have the classes work together,” sophomore class sponsor and AP European history teacher Susan Fuhrer said.

Student government members hope to continue to create more social experiences for students. They also want to expand these experiences to the rest of the metea community.