Fights this school year have significantly decreased

The+number+of+fights+have+decreased+this+school+year.+

Kayla Clark

The number of fights have decreased this school year.

Fewer Metea students have been getting in fights this year, according to Principal Darrell Echols. After a return to a more “normal” school semester, Echols connects the decrease in fights to the new rules which are positively affecting the school atmosphere.

“We have seen a significant decrease in fights, and there are a couple of things that play a role in that,” Echols said. “First of all, we have reviewed the expectations with the kids. We have more staff available in the hallways to kind of assist students. We have done more restorative conferences this year with the dean team and with the social workers.”

At the start of each season, students participating in Metea Athletics have been told to not engage in or videotape fights. In doing so, the student will face serious consequences, affecting their season and reputation.

“We tell kids to put the phones down, it does not particularly helpful when they post that stuff, that is something that we will give consequences for so if you post that on social media, there is a consequence if we find out,” Echols said. 

According to Echols last year we had 22 fights at Metea and this year up to Thanksgiving we have had eight.

Administrators have also implemented a bathroom freeze this year, with the intention of clearing the hallways for the first and last ten minutes of class. School Resource Officer Jay Leonardi observed its valuable nature in school safety.

“It seems like the freeze has been very beneficial to the school,” Leonardi said. “I do not necessarily know the data 100 percent because they only come to me when something needs to be addressed or investigated.  But, it seems like it has affected the decline in fights, so hopefully, the school continues with it.”

According to Leonardi, participating in a school fight can lead to disorderly conduct charges and battery. The school can also pursue charges for alarming and disrupting the educational process. In the event of a possible confrontation, the Deans and Dean’s assistants, as well as the officer himself, are available to talk. Echols encourages students to avoid situations that may lead to violence. 

“It boils down to the students making better choices,” Echols said. “If you have an issue with somebody, try to get an adult to help them handle that or walk away from a potentially ugly situation rather than getting involved in a verbal altercation with someone.”