Unity In Excellence inspires Black leadership

Unity+In+Excellence+at+the+Black+History+Month+showcase+in+the+Black+Box+

Madison Moon

Unity In Excellence at the Black History Month showcase in the Black Box

Madison Moon

Unity In Excellence is a club for the Black student body of Metea. Its purpose is to be a backbone and outlet for the students. The club is student-led which gives students many chances to take on leadership positions.

Senior Brooklyn Dampier created the club a year and a half ago as she recalls the reason why she felt it was time for the school to have a club similar to this.

“I created this club to do more in recognition of the Black students our school for the past years has ignored,” Dampier said.

Unity In Excellence has had a variety of activities this month from exhibiting artifacts, honoring black history and having a mini showcase in the Black Box. The club’s most recent event was a Black History month showcase held in the Auditorium.

Some of the acts included slam poetry, speeches, a fashion show, singing and rapping, and a choreographed dance, all performed by Metea students. 

“The show was quite amazing because I love modeling,” senior Pierre Bender said. “It is something that I admire and is fun and creative for me.”

Furthermore, Bender went on to talk about his experience as a member of Unity In Excellence.

“I think this club is a representation of what a lot of schools are missing pertaining to Black education and Black history. This club can open the eyes and minds of people in reference to black history. We want to spread that to others,” Bender said.

We are the new and upcoming generation. Unity In Excellence stands by the fact that we are the greatness our future holds, we are future activists in so many ways. We are future doctors, lawyers, etc. We are the change the system desperately needs and when we come into the spotlight many will be infuriated. But the ones that matter will be more empowered than we could have ever imagined and the change will be more drastic than ever thought accomplishable.

Unity In Excellence meets after school on Wednesdays from 2:25-4:00. 

“I want to let them know we are here. We are educated. We are Black and we are excellence,” Brooklyn said.