Students across Metea get into the Valentine’s Day spirit

Luisa Bernardino
Throughout Metea Valley, Valentine’s Day celebrates love, both romantic and platonic.

Valentine’s Day — a day of love, friendship, and admiration ー is widely celebrated throughout the world and is now being recognized within the school. Metea Valley students make an effort to showcase the Valentine’s Day spirit, depicting their opinions on the holiday. 

When it comes to the Metea student body’s overall sentiments about the holiday, most are impartial. In a poll run on Metea Media, fifty-five students claimed they felt indifferent to Valentine’s Day while forty-five felt positive about the holiday and thirty-nine felt negatively about it. In a similar poll on social media, 48% of students felt indifferent to Valentine’s Day, 41% liked the holiday, and 11% disliked the holiday. 

While many people might feel indifferent about the holiday, a few students have their own ways of celebrating it with unique views. Senior Brandy Cossio finds Valentine’s Day a fun way to show your appreciation towards those who matter in your life.

“I think it’s a pretty cool day, it’s very sweet,” Cossio says. “It’s a fun way to express yourself and how much you love a person.”

On the other hand, a portion of students have a slightly negative outlook of Valentine’s Day. Senior Aryanna Mong notices a different side to the beloved holiday. 

“I think it’s a good holiday for people because I think it’s an opportunity for people to truly connect on a deeper level. Although, I think it can be sometimes a little isolating for some,” Mong says. 

In light of the pros and cons of the holiday, Metea Valley’s clubs, one of them being the Chinese Honors Society, have organized fundraisers for  Valentine’s Day.

“We’re selling candy grams for Valentine’s Day. Each candy gram is $1 and people can buy candy grams and they can either write their name on it or send it anonymously and then they provide a little message and they can send it to their friends,” Chinese Honors Society president, Rachel Chen says.