Mustang of the Week: Ashley Konkle

Mustang of the Week: Ashley Konkle

[quote]By Drew Danko
Online Editor
Photo courtesy of Ashley Konkle (Varsity Views)[/quote]

When did you start playing basketball?

I started playing basketball in the fourth grade. I was horrible at first, then as a couple years went by, I got better and in sixth grade I joined my first travel team.

What is it like playing basketball for varsity?

Playing varsity is great. The level of competition is a lot better and there is always something to push you. Being on varsity makes me realize that there is always something I need to work on and everyday is a day to do that and get better.

Has it been a difficult transition/start to the season since you’re a freshman?

The transition to varsity was great. I was welcomed by all my teammates and the coaches too. I knew coming in I would have to earn my spot on the team. Knowing that, I was able to work hard and show my team and coaches I am capable of playing varsity as a freshman.

What does playing basketball mean to you?

For me, basketball is my escape. I know after a long day I am able to step on the court and everything that upset me during the day is gone. At that point it is just me, the court, and the hoop. All my thoughts are free and I get to do what I love.

What is your favorite thing about playing basketball?

The best thing about basketball is the competition. I love to win and when I am able to do that it is a great feeling. Also I love the friendships I have made in my years of playing. Some of those friendships will last my whole life, and I have basketball to thank for that.  

What has been your biggest accomplishment in playing basketball?

So far in my life my biggest accomplishment with basketball is being looked at by colleges as a freshman. My goal is to go off and play after high school, so being able to get letters saying I’m on a recruiting list is always a great moment.