Mustang of the week: Rich Lazatin

Mustang of the week: Rich Lazatin

By Zainie Qureshi
Picture by Metea Valley Music

You’re a Freshman and have already been one of the leads in two of the school plays. Did you expect that type of success coming into Metea?

No, not at all. Coming into Metea, I honestly had the mindset that “you take what’s given to you,” because that’s how theater always worked for me growing up and doing shows, so I had no idea that I would have such success coming into Metea Valley.

How do you propose one should work on their acting skills?

Well for any actor, when I’m given a role, I always think about just embodying the character in every aspect of their life. Like when it came to Henry in Next to Normal, it was [about] getting down to attitude and perspective on life and just being that happy-go-lucky guy, and just always being positive besides the fact that his family life might not be the best and [the fact he] used drugs as a coping mechanism. And with Gomez, I just took my father as my role model for that character, and just being that leader in the family.

What would you say to those who want to pursue acting in high school?

For pursuing acting in high school, one big piece of advice would be to stay humble. There’s so many people in this world that think that they’re all that, when in reality they have so much to work on, and we all have something to work on when it comes to acting, performing, singing [or] dancing. For this show I had to work so much on my dancing skills because I like to think of myself having two left feet. But yeah, just stay humble, and work hard, and never give up on your dreams.

How do you get into character?

Well, I watched the Broadway version of the Adam’s Family, and [saw] how Gomez fit my personality so well. It wasn’t that difficult being that kind of crazy, spontaneous guy who’s up for anything. He’s up for any challenge, he loves the people around him, and with me, I’m a family guy, so that kind of bond that was created as a cast really helped getting [myself] into character and doing the best we can on stage.

What are your goals for the future?

I’m just hoping for more success with theater and doing my best in choir, and hopefully more musicals to come, and I hope to do some plays if possible.

Is acting something you’d like to pursue?

Definitely, it’s one of my main passions to be on Broadway if possible. I would also be interested in pursuing anything in television or movies, but I just think acting and performing has been one of my main passions ever since I was a little kid.

What type of experience has your first year of high school been like?

My first year of high school has been one of the craziest years of my life. Just the experiences I’ve had in these two shows have been amazing. One show took so much out of me emotionally, but it was the best emotional experience I’ve ever had. And same with this show, where I can never stop laughing. After every rehearsal, after every experience I’ve had with my fellow cast members, it’s been a crazy emotional ride.

• M

Mitch DiazMay 10, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Rich you are amazing and i’m so glad i got to know you (a little bit) in Bass Chorus without you Bass Chorus would missing our strongest tenor. Keep doing what you are doing. *5 hour clap*

• A

Anisha KapoorMay 10, 2016 at 7:42 am

YASSSSS RICH SLAYYYYYYYY <3

• W

WilmoMay 10, 2016 at 11:56 am

That’s very offensive. Why do you want him to kill people?? That’s hate speech and your comment should be removed. No need for the violent threats fam.

• W

worried personMay 9, 2016 at 8:50 pm

what more does Keegan Reilly have to do to get mustang of the week he has done so much

• C

Concerned Metea StudentMay 10, 2016 at 10:21 am

He led us to a win over nequea, come on metea media….

• G

Gemma LazatinMay 9, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Great job Rich! You continue to amaze us and make us so proud!

Mustang of the week: Rich Lazatin