Filed under News

Teacher injured as icy weather causes issues on and off the road

Brittany Coates

Brittany Coates

There was a large number of accidents on roads due to rain freezing on the roads in the general Chicago area, including Naperville and Aurora this past Wednesday. Faculty confirmed that a teacher was injured due to the ice in the parking lot of school grounds and had to be taken away by emergency vehicles. They also confirmed that a few students and a staff member were involved in vehicle accidents as well.

“We want to encourage our student drivers to take caution when there are dangerous conditions and just very careful especially while walking in when there is rain, or ice, or snow on the ground,” Dean of students Matt Walpole said.

According to the Chicago Tribune, nearly 100 accidents were caused by icy conditions in Aurora and police responded to more than 80 crashes in Naperville. No accidents took place with school bus transportation. Despite harsh weather conditions, the school continued to stay open, a decision that was made at the administrative level.

“It is a decision that the principals in our district [make], they speak to each other about it, and then they have to get clearance from our district superintendent. It is a district-wide decision and they made a determination once some of our ground staff was here at school to stay open for yesterday,” Walpole said.

Many students and teachers had to be excused for their late arrival at school late due to delays in traffic. Art teacher Karen Popovich was among the teachers who arrived late.

“Even though you plan ahead and you leave early enough, you just can’t predict what the road conditions and traffic are going to be, so the best advice is to have people you can call to help you out,” Popovich said.

School grounds are salted by grounds staff, however, decisions about when to do so are not made by the faculty or school. Schools continue to encourage caution among families, students, and faculty.

“For our school [and] community, safety is our number one priority. So we want to be supportive of what families decide in terms of the best way to get their children to school,” Walpole said.

About the Writer
Thuy-An Nguyen, Headlines Reporter

Thuy-An Nguyen is a senior and a headlines writer. This is her first year on the staff and when she’s not drawing or painting on anything she can find, you can find her taking photos, reading three books, and trying to achieve a hip life aesthetic.

33 Responses to “Teacher injured as icy weather causes issues on and off the road”

1. darkstripe on January 26th, 2018 4:00 pm

but which teacher was it

2. axiet on January 26th, 2018 9:57 pm

I think respecting their privacy is much more important than satisfying your curiosity.

3. Anonymous on January 28th, 2018 11:57 am

lolz

4. Reality Doctor on January 28th, 2018 2:54 pm

But we need to know!

5. ... on January 29th, 2018 8:17 am

No we don’t

6. Henna on January 29th, 2018 10:50 am

You used the word “need.”
    Will you die if you don’t find out? No. Will you die if you stop breathing? Yes. You NEED air to survive. You WANT to know who slipped. And speak for yourself. It doesn’t really matter to most people.

7. Anonymous on January 29th, 2018 9:16 am

Why does title say teacher injured if you’re not gonna tell us who it was?

8. Reality Doctor on January 29th, 2018 1:37 pm

Yes you’re right about needing, but seriously though, I wanna know, what would be the point of the article. So technically I do need to know. Thanks very much.

9. That's Harsh on January 29th, 2018 1:39 pm

That’s really harsh to lecture someone if they want to know because maybe he/she wants to see the teacher and apologize, so is that so much to ask. I agree with Reality Doctor because he has a right to know, and I know some people may not care but he/she does.

10. That's Harsh on January 29th, 2018 1:42 pm

Is needing and wanting really that important at the end of the the day compared to an injured teacher, and mentioning death is harsh.

11. Henna on January 31st, 2018 8:08 am

You know who else has a right? The teacher to privacy. Would you go into a hospital and pull the curtains away from a random room just to see who was in there? No, you wouldn’t. It’s simple common decency to leave people alone, especially when injured. You want to know who got hurt? Ask the teachers if you have a reason, otherwise they’ll agree.

12. Henna on January 31st, 2018 8:09 am

Oh yeah, and you’d get kicked out if you hadn’t already by saying “Oh, I’m just here to see who’s in a state needing of such medical attention,” when they ask your reasons for visiting.

13. Henna on January 31st, 2018 8:03 am

The point is to get students and teachers to get their heads out of the clouds and pay attention to the roads and sidewalks.

14. Henna on January 31st, 2018 8:05 am

Or, you know, their phones.

15. That's Harsh on January 31st, 2018 1:12 pm

Nope, still harsh. We want to know because not everything has to be private after all Metea Media is where we know what the heck goes on therefore some of us who wants to know really cares not even for curiosity, because he wants to know if the teacher is okay, so that’s really not a nice thought to say.

16. That's Harsh on January 31st, 2018 1:15 pm

You say it like I’m an immature student, but no. It’s called being polite and the teacher is probably an inspiration towards some students so yeah, really harsh.

17. That's Harsh on January 31st, 2018 1:19 pm

If they really don’t want anyone to see anyone then we would all agree to respect that, but WE DON’T KNOW because it’s not in the article is it? And this article seems to point towards one, only one, not a community of teachers getting hurt so if we knew whether to respect their privacy then me and Reality Doctor wouldn’t have said anything, but we don’t know if they want us to leave her alone. Harsh.

18. That's Harsh on January 31st, 2018 3:04 pm

I swear on goodness that’s harsh, what I’m saying after all is that we don’t know that whoever the teacher is wants to be left alone because the article doesn’t mention anything resembling the teacher at all and plus it’s called being polite to care for a teacher that’s injured and if he/she said that they wanted some privacy we would respect that but WE DON’T KNOW, because it doesn’t say it does it? Nope. So that’s harsh to say and your argument is basically taking mine the wrong way and it shouldn’t be.

19. Reality Doctor on March 6th, 2018 11:06 am

How Heartless…

20. Contributor on January 31st, 2018 12:57 pm

smh i want to know

21. Lauren on January 29th, 2018 10:09 am

Clickbait headline

22. Henna on January 31st, 2018 7:41 am

This is Metea Media, not YouTube. “Clickbait” refers to videos and articles that use false information to make whatever they’re writing/making seem more interesting for the purpose of money (ad revenue).

23. Reality Doctor on February 2nd, 2018 10:39 am

No No, he’s right. This is clickbait because the article didn’t mention the teacher!

24. Henna on February 6th, 2018 7:52 am

“No No, he’s right”
    Lauren is a girl’s name, and the second ‘no’ should not be capitalized. And the article DID mention the teacher, just didn’t state who it was.

25. Reality Doctor on February 8th, 2018 1:02 pm

Does the second no look capitalized, well it’s clearly not. And they did not mention the teacher him/herself, it only mentioned the fact that it WAS a teacher who was injured.

26. That's Harsh on February 8th, 2018 1:02 pm

I know right. Harsh.

27. Reality Doctor on February 8th, 2018 3:21 pm

The second “no” gets to be capitalized and the way I make my comments is no concern of yours after all it is a comment section.

28. Reality Doctor on February 8th, 2018 3:24 pm

And who is Lauren?

29. Minnow on February 16th, 2018 7:32 am

Actually, yes, it does. I hate how you didn’t use a question mark in that first sentence, but a period. Capital “N” looks like this. Lowercase “n” looks like this. I’m not sure what you’re on, but get it together.

30. Minnow on February 16th, 2018 7:33 am

Also “mention” and “naming” are two completely different words. Buy yourself a dictionary.

31. That's Harsh on February 20th, 2018 8:15 am

Harsh!

32. Reality Doctor on February 20th, 2018 8:18 am

Well too bad! We have the right to comment what we want, what are you my English teacher? No. It doesn’t mention the teacher itself it what is happening! So that’s too bad! Sorry not sorry.

33. Reality Doctor on February 20th, 2018 8:38 am

We see your comments, and we see you guys hurting people for just giving good opinions, a reason why we should remove replying or the entire comment section! That’s Harsh points out what’s harsh or not, and I make realistic comments, and you rain on our parade by making mean comments that are part of the guidelines that you should not be mean, but oh well.

• Teacher injured as icy weather causes issues on and off the road

News

Kennedy Homan selected as Pacemaker finalist

News

Emmy winning journalist Enrique Rodriguez discusses the importance of journalism for Latino Heritage Month.

News

Abbey Malbon selected as a Pacemaker Finalist

News

Administrators censor episode of The Mane in violation of state law

News

LMC incorporates new ID check-in system

News

Students register to vote on National Voter Registration Day

News

Metea’s mock election gives students a fun way to be involved

News

New Powderpuff rules include underclassmen

News

Deans crack down on parking pass violators

News

The Stampede selected as 2018 Pacemaker finalist