Filed under News

Teacher injured as icy weather causes issues on and off the road

Brittany Coates

Brittany Coates

There was a large number of accidents on roads due to rain freezing on the roads in the general Chicago area, including Naperville and Aurora this past Wednesday. Faculty confirmed that a teacher was injured due to the ice in the parking lot of school grounds and had to be taken away by emergency vehicles. They also confirmed that a few students and a staff member were involved in vehicle accidents as well.

“We want to encourage our student drivers to take caution when there are dangerous conditions and just very careful especially while walking in when there is rain, or ice, or snow on the ground,” Dean of students Matt Walpole said.

According to the Chicago Tribune, nearly 100 accidents were caused by icy conditions in Aurora and police responded to more than 80 crashes in Naperville. No accidents took place with school bus transportation. Despite harsh weather conditions, the school continued to stay open, a decision that was made at the administrative level.

“It is a decision that the principals in our district [make], they speak to each other about it, and then they have to get clearance from our district superintendent. It is a district-wide decision and they made a determination once some of our ground staff was here at school to stay open for yesterday,” Walpole said.

Many students and teachers had to be excused for their late arrival at school late due to delays in traffic. Art teacher Karen Popovich was among the teachers who arrived late.

“Even though you plan ahead and you leave early enough, you just can’t predict what the road conditions and traffic are going to be, so the best advice is to have people you can call to help you out,” Popovich said.

School grounds are salted by grounds staff, however, decisions about when to do so are not made by the faculty or school. Schools continue to encourage caution among families, students, and faculty.

“For our school [and] community, safety is our number one priority. So we want to be supportive of what families decide in terms of the best way to get their children to school,” Walpole said.

29 Responses to “Teacher injured as icy weather causes issues on and off the road”

1. darkstripe on January 26th, 2018 4:00 pm

but which teacher was it

axiet Reply:

I think respecting their privacy is much more important than satisfying your curiosity.

Anonymous Reply:

lolz

Reality Doctor Reply:

But we need to know!

... Reply:

No we don’t

Henna Reply:

You used the word “need.”
    Will you die if you don’t find out? No. Will you die if you stop breathing? Yes. You NEED air to survive. You WANT to know who slipped. And speak for yourself. It doesn’t really matter to most people.

Anonymous Reply:

Why does title say teacher injured if you’re not gonna tell us who it was?

Reality Doctor Reply:

Yes you’re right about needing, but seriously though, I wanna know, what would be the point of the article. So technically I do need to know. Thanks very much.

That's Harsh Reply:

That’s really harsh to lecture someone if they want to know because maybe he/she wants to see the teacher and apologize, so is that so much to ask. I agree with Reality Doctor because he has a right to know, and I know some people may not care but he/she does.

That's Harsh Reply:

Is needing and wanting really that important at the end of the the day compared to an injured teacher, and mentioning death is harsh.

Henna Reply:

You know who else has a right? The teacher to privacy. Would you go into a hospital and pull the curtains away from a random room just to see who was in there? No, you wouldn’t. It’s simple common decency to leave people alone, especially when injured. You want to know who got hurt? Ask the teachers if you have a reason, otherwise they’ll agree.

Henna Reply:

Oh yeah, and you’d get kicked out if you hadn’t already by saying “Oh, I’m just here to see who’s in a state needing of such medical attention,” when they ask your reasons for visiting.

Henna Reply:

The point is to get students and teachers to get their heads out of the clouds and pay attention to the roads and sidewalks.

Henna Reply:

Or, you know, their phones.

That's Harsh Reply:

Nope, still harsh. We want to know because not everything has to be private after all Metea Media is where we know what the heck goes on therefore some of us who wants to know really cares not even for curiosity, because he wants to know if the teacher is okay, so that’s really not a nice thought to say.

That's Harsh Reply:

You say it like I’m an immature student, but no. It’s called being polite and the teacher is probably an inspiration towards some students so yeah, really harsh.

That's Harsh Reply:

If they really don’t want anyone to see anyone then we would all agree to respect that, but WE DON’T KNOW because it’s not in the article is it? And this article seems to point towards one, only one, not a community of teachers getting hurt so if we knew whether to respect their privacy then me and Reality Doctor wouldn’t have said anything, but we don’t know if they want us to leave her alone. Harsh.

That's Harsh Reply:

I swear on goodness that’s harsh, what I’m saying after all is that we don’t know that whoever the teacher is wants to be left alone because the article doesn’t mention anything resembling the teacher at all and plus it’s called being polite to care for a teacher that’s injured and if he/she said that they wanted some privacy we would respect that but WE DON’T KNOW, because it doesn’t say it does it? Nope. So that’s harsh to say and your argument is basically taking mine the wrong way and it shouldn’t be.

Contributor Reply:

smh i want to know

2. Lauren on January 29th, 2018 10:09 am

Clickbait headline

Henna Reply:

This is Metea Media, not YouTube. “Clickbait” refers to videos and articles that use false information to make whatever they’re writing/making seem more interesting for the purpose of money (ad revenue).

Reality Doctor Reply:

No No, he’s right. This is clickbait because the article didn’t mention the teacher!

Henna Reply:

“No No, he’s right”
    Lauren is a girl’s name, and the second ‘no’ should not be capitalized. And the article DID mention the teacher, just didn’t state who it was.

Reality Doctor Reply:

Does the second no look capitalized, well it’s clearly not. And they did not mention the teacher him/herself, it only mentioned the fact that it WAS a teacher who was injured.

That's Harsh Reply:

I know right. Harsh.

Reality Doctor Reply:

The second “no” gets to be capitalized and the way I make my comments is no concern of yours after all it is a comment section.

Reality Doctor Reply:

And who is Lauren?

Minnow Reply:

Actually, yes, it does. I hate how you didn’t use a question mark in that first sentence, but a period. Capital “N” looks like this. Lowercase “n” looks like this. I’m not sure what you’re on, but get it together.

Minnow Reply:

Also “mention” and “naming” are two completely different words. Buy yourself a dictionary.

• Teacher injured as icy weather causes issues on and off the road

News

MSA spreads the meaning of a cultural item on World Hijab Day

News

Engage204 connects parents with district decisions

News

National Art Honors Society creates mural for Loaves and Fishes

News

Josh T Magic hosts second Show and Sell

News

New courses available for 2018-19 school year

News

Why a re-tool may be necessary for a struggling Chicago Blackhawks team

News

Students engage with community in MLK Day of Service

News

Friends and family remember the life of Jayden Naidoo

News

Robotics team qualifies for state in competition

Profiles

12.15.17 Mane