Students raise $35,000 to cure SMA

On Sep. 27, the eighth annual Kyra’s Idea Angie’s Hope fundraiser took place. The event raised over $35,000 in the effort to find a  cure for the disease, spinal muscular atrophy, more commonly known as SMA.

The event spread all throughout the school, ranging from t-shirt sales during the lunch periods to having the cheerleaders perform the halftime show and the national anthem sung by Apollo and the Muses.

Out of the twenty-seven teams that participated in the soccer tournament, eight were teams made up completely of Metea students. In addition to participating in the event several Metea student volunteered in setting up the event as well as reffing the soccer games. “Without the help of all student the event would not have the success it had,” Event Coordinator Kris Scadden said.

The event was started by former Metea student Kyra Scadden and sophomore level Angie Lee. The event started eight years ago when Scadden and Lee began their friendship. Scadden was curious about why Lee was in a wheelchair and wanted to do everything she could to help.

Scadden started by just putting penny jars around May Watts Elementary School and had a goal of raising $200. Through the help of the community and hard work, the event that  started as a penny drive has grown into a massive soccer tournament and has raised a total of $155,000. “It’s amazing because so many people stepped up and now Angie’s hope has raised over a year’s worth of research,” Scadden said.

By Joe Riordan