Fifth annual NAACP College and Career Fair preps students for the future

[quote]By Megan Arnold (Features Editor)                                                             Photo by Megan Arnold[/quote]

The DuPage county NAACP hosted the fifth annual College and Career Fair Saturday at Waubonsie Valley High School. Students, teachers, officers, counselors, and university staffers all gathered in the gym to educate and elaborate on certain schools and programs.

College fairs are meant to open students’ eyes to different options and opportunities for their lives after high school. From schools inside of Illinois to all the way across the country, many options were displayed.

“I liked the fact  that it was so close to me and I could get all that information without having to travel too far,” Lizzie Lozanova, a junior from Waubonsie Valley, said.

Many admission counselors, officers of duty, and church leaders came in from all different states with the hopes of sparking interest into the minds of young adults.

With many options in mind, having a plan and goal for after high school is something many people encourage. Whether it’s the military, an Ivy League university, or studying abroad, the fair proved the time to start planning is now.

“The colleges and universities there were so diverse – some were big, some were public, and some were private – I liked having many options,” Lozanova said.

Some universities in attendance included the University of Chicago, Northern Illinois University, and the United States Military Academy at West Point.

If you couldn’t make it to the college fair, the college and career center is always open to help and guide any student to where they want to be in the next few years.