‘Chalk the Walk’ promotes school spirit

Chalk the Walk promotes school spirit

By Lanie Lobdell
Features Writer
Photo by Drew Danko

Chalk the walk proved to be a newfound tradition for homecoming week Wednesday, as all the fall clubs and sports designed a space on the sidewalk in chalk.  The walk into the athletic doors is now decorated with enchanting drawings and colorful scenes of castles, princesses, and frogs that came from the many different students who represent the school.

The idea originated from the art club, which was inspired by a similar project the University of Illinois completed on its campus. Kathryn Parenti, the head sponsor for the art club, brought this idea to the attention of MVStuGo sponsor, Lauren Reineking.

Reineking and other MVStuGo sponsors decided it was a great way to promote homecoming, and found it better than the past window decorations. “We hoped that by trying something new we would get more involvement,” Reineking said.

Formerly, window decorations could only be seen by students and faculty at the dance and during the school day. Chalk the walk allows all visitors to observe the art and creations of the clubs and activities. “It also advertises to a larger population of people, more than the window decorating,” StuGo sponsor Alena Edwards said.

All of the staff was very excited to get their students together and advocate for their clubs. “As soon as they walk in from the parking lot, they get to see all the different clubs coming together and showing their spirit,” StuGo sponsor Ashley Hartke said.

Many students and clubs were proud to present their team’s creations, many of which incorporated a fairytale aspect, in such a unique way to share with the school.  “Chalk the walk is so creative, it’s unique, and not many schools would probably do it,” girls’ bowling team member Alexis Sutherland said.

In addition to showcasing student talent, the decorative sidewalk provides hype for the theme and dance. “It’s really cool when everyone walks up and sees everything, it’ll add more excitement to walking into the dance,” cheerleader Lily Dickson said.