Filed under Spotlight

AirPods: The Apple product that miraculously took over the world

What started out as another useless Apple product in the eyes of the general public, the AirPods have turned into a symbol of wealth and status that is desired by some, yet still ridiculed by others. And the strangest thing is that it took the product two years to finally gain relevance.

The AirPods are a wireless earphone product introduced by Apple in December of 2016. The technology was made in response to criticisms of the wired earphones. One of the most notable complaints being the fact that the wires often get tangled up and damaged, making it frustrating to use.

The AirPods eliminate the use of wires and connects to the phone without plugins, allowing the user to listen to music and make phone calls without the annoyance of wires. The AirPods are also electronically powered, which means the pods would need to be charged after a certain amount of time. Recently, Apple released a charging case that will act as a portable AirPod charger.

Upon its original announcement, the product was heavily criticized for the use of a charger and the perceived potential for them to fall out or be lost, especially without the use of a wire to keep the pods in place.

“I’m perfectly fine with a cable… sometimes when my phone falls out of my pocket, the wire actually kinda catches my phone. I’m kinda forgetful and I to forget where I leave things, so I would probably lose my AirPods if I were to buy some,”  senior Ninrot Anguiano said.

Many also claim that the product is useless and doesn’t have a real purpose. While these have been addressed with the addition of more features, the AirPods faded into obscurity and was seen as a failed experiment by Apple.

“I don’t think they’re annoying, I just think its a waste of money if I don’t need it. Like, if it’s not something I need, why am I going to spend one hundred and sixty dollars on headphones,” senior Jocelyn Noritz said.

Despite the critiques,  two years have passed and all the sudden the AirPod became the most sought after item on the market. According to the website Digital Trends, over 28 million AirPods were sold in 2018, which is more than how much was sold in 2017, which was 16 million. This is rather impressive when comparing it to the sales of other experimental products like the Apple Watch, which sold 8 million products at the end of 2017.

In addition, many users of the AirPods have come out to say that there is value in the product, sighting them as reliable and a great addition for all iPhone users.

“Basically they are super convenient because you can use the phone while charging it and you can listen to music at the same time, and they never fall out. I mean, I don’t speak broke, but for all my broke boys out there, AirPods are definitely worth it,” sophomore Nathan Mendes said.

Whether these products will revolutionize the game or will be just another trend remains to be seen. However, it is clear that there is some appeal to the AirPods whether you like them or not and will be around for quite a while.

Ben Weiss, Perspectives Editor

Ben Weiss is a senior perspectives editor and writer. It will be his second and last year on The Stampede. Other activities he’s involved in include...

20 Responses to “AirPods: The Apple product that miraculously took over the world”

1. Brian Chan on January 25th, 2019 7:31 am

“claim that the product is useless and doesn’t have a real purpose besides being something While these have been addressed with the addition of more features” <- please proofread your article here

2. Quest Hill on January 25th, 2019 8:00 am

If I hear “It smells like broke in here” or “I don’t speak broke” or “I can’t hear broke people” one more time, my eardrums are going to split in half! This joke is way too overused. Anybody agree or is it just me. My family can’t afford a $1,000 phone and $160 earbuds, but that doesn’t mean I’m broke. If you agree, please reply.

3. Sicko Mode on January 25th, 2019 8:23 am

I don’t speak broke

4. John Luke Kranz on January 25th, 2019 9:16 am

People with airpods are just too broke to afford the wire, Change my mind.

5. Football on January 25th, 2019 9:26 am

Having airpods makes the cost go to some peoples heads and gives them the thought to call people poor not all just some

6. me on January 25th, 2019 9:43 am

I’m with you quest hill

7. Sicko Bamba on January 25th, 2019 10:50 am

Quest hill I completely agree with you, that joke is so overused… Honestly who do these people think they are? – Nathan Mendes

8. Broke Boy on January 25th, 2019 11:07 am

r/woooosh

9. Cabbage Merchant on January 25th, 2019 11:23 am

Fellas there’s always the lightning port.

Or get the lighting to headphone port adapter.

Also wireless headphones have been a thing forever, AirPods just got really popular because a lot of people have an iPhone
    It’s really more of an experiment rather than an “innovation” or “regression.”

I swear I would lose them though.

10. hi on January 25th, 2019 12:51 pm

Its a slow news day

11. air pod bad on January 25th, 2019 12:59 pm

air pod bad

12. kfc on January 25th, 2019 1:59 pm

now this is pod-racing

13. walter clements on January 27th, 2019 11:23 pm

walter

14. Airpods User on January 29th, 2019 8:48 am

I still don’t speak broke.

15. Reese on January 29th, 2019 9:02 am

Some people justify the price by saying it gives better sound quality, but the main limiting factor is really your phone, if your really into getting the best sound possible, get home, get a laptop, desktop or even a chromebook, use that $160 for high quality headphones with a USB connector and use that for your “sick beats”, sure it’s not nearly as mobile as earbuds, but then your at home and won’t be able to call us wired earbud users poor/broke (insert insult here: ) people.

16. darkstripe on February 5th, 2019 1:16 pm

tbh AirPods don’t even have a great quality of sound. they don’t fit in my ears and I have to jam them in backwards to be able to hear them. I keep losing them as well and am generally always nervous about where they are
    AirPods suck but I don’t have any other headphones, so Unfortunately…

17. Mo Bamba on February 5th, 2019 4:51 pm

I only speak rich

18. Airpod Afforder on February 7th, 2019 7:37 am

Quest Hill, I can’t hear you, you don’t have airpods, rip

19. wires are better on February 13th, 2019 1:44 pm

The only broke people are the people with the airpods spending their money on a 500 dollar phone and then an extra 160 dollars on something you will most likely lose.

20. wires are better on February 13th, 2019 1:47 pm

Yes! I agree with Quest and Nathan, why is it even used. It’s unnecessary like I get it, your parents wasted some of your tuition money for your Christmas…congrats?

• AirPods: The Apple product that miraculously took over the world

Spotlight

Parkland: One Year Later

Spotlight

Super Bowl VIII: One of the most boring and controversial games in a while

Spotlight

Adulting 101: Taxes

Spotlight

Blackfishing: A social media trend

Spotlight

Be humble, not arrogant

Spotlight

Largest U.S. Cigarette Provider Altria Places Stake In “Anti-Tobacco” Company JUUL

Spotlight

Unexpected government shutdown worries current seniors applying for Financial Aid

Spotlight

Jump starting your career in high school

Spotlight

The college board fails to meet the mark

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: Midterm Elections bring diversity to Washington D.C.