Music lovers adjust to COVID-19 guidelines at summer festivals

Alexandra Guckel

Students enjoying summer festivities before COVID-19.

As COVID-19 vaccinations are distributed, tests are more accessible, and cases are decreased, places in the United States are now able to host summer festivities. Lollapalooza and Summer Smash are two of the many yearly festivals Chicago hosts. The Mayor of Chicago, Lori Lightfoot, announced that concerts such as Lollapalooza and Summer Smash will take place when necessary precautions are met. Precautions include getting vaccinated or getting tested 24 hours before entering the festivals, which will be required for Lollapalooza this year.

“I think that the vaccination rates will increase,” sophomore Anabel Orchard said. “Most people aren’t going to want to get a negative test every day, especially when there is a risk they could be positive when they already paid for tickets.”

With these precautions, it is unlikely that the summer festivities will be canceled even if COVID-19 cases increase. This is due to the strict testing policy these festivals are requiring this year, which creates more people comfortable with the idea of being in a large group of people.

“The heat and outdoors will play a role in how people will wear masks at concerts,” sophomore Abigail Orchard said. “But I think the risk of spreading the virus is low regardless of wearing a mask considering a vaccination or daily covid test is required.”

Since Lollapalooza is a large event, there could be a possibility that there could be an increased risk of getting COVID- 19. Receiving the vaccination doesn’t mean there isn’t a chance of covid still being around or getting sick in general if someone were to cough or sneeze around. 

“Since talking about COVID-19, I think we should think about others who do not want to get vaccinated before this event,” junior Erin Howell said, “Those individuals even though they’ve been tested before Lolla, still have a risk of catching COVID-19″. 

Not much can be said for what could happen during these summer events especially towards everything slowly coming back to normal. During this huge event with a massive group of people, there is a lot to figure out before having to figure out how this will be set us and how everything will go when it comes for many people attending Lolla this year especially since the pandemic occurred still is something to be cautious about even if vaccines are present. 

“We can’t turn away from “risk” because it’s everywhere, but taking precautions and being aware of surroundings can help decrease risk at the event in my opinion,” Howell said.

As students from Metea and other high schools in the area are going to festivals and concerts over the summer, the district is hoping everyone stays safe and healthy for this upcoming school year.