Metea Valley speech team maintains momentum through sectionals

Photo courtesy to Derek Sturn

Performance in the Round celebrates their accomplishments at the 2022 IHSA Regionals held at Wheaton-Warrenville South High School.

Tanay Pant, Spotlight Writer

After winning the regionals competition at Neuqua Valley, Metea Valley’s speech team has continued to breeze through the competition after placing second at Wheaton-Warrenville South sectionals. Placing just three points behind the host school, the team managed to advance six of the fifteen categories to the state tournament at the Peoria Civic Center.

The team has not only achieved victories at all of these tournaments, but they continue to break records as well. At regionals, they sent every single category to sectionals for the first time in Metea history. Now, at sectionals, they have broken another record by sending six categories to state – the most sent in school history. The categories include  Dramatic Interpretation, Radio Speaking, and more.

While those going to state make up a tiny portion of the team, they have the full support of everyone, and there has been nothing but love and encouragement from their peers.

“We have been so moved and motivated from all the love we have received,” speech captain Tanmay Varshney said. “It makes us feel at home more than ever, and we are definitely going to carry that into state.”

Going into sectionals, many of the participants knew that there was a chance they would not progress. That would mean that the sectionals tournament could possibly be their last. However, as the senior competitors gear up for State, there is no doubt that this will be the last tournament they take part in.

“This week is truly the last of my speech career,” Varshney said. “It feels very definitive.”

However, Varsheny has made sure that this situation gives him motivation and drive rather than bringing him down.

“I guess it is a little bittersweet,” Varshney said. “Still, more than anything, it is pushing me to do better than ever at state.”