Halloween still provides tricks and treats for teenagers

[quote]By Nikki Roberts
Online Writer
Photo by Wildcat Dunny (Flickr) [/quote]

As a child, the family rule in my household concerning Halloween was that no one was allowed to even utter word of costumes and decorations, tricks and treats, or ghosts and goblins until the calendar read Oct. 1. However, my younger brother and I were frequent perpetrators of this rule. As soon as the air turned crisp and leaves began to crumble and fall, I could hardly contain my urge to start carving pumpkins, decorate candy apples, and design my costume. I had assumed that as I matured, my friends and I would continue to trick or treat and indulge in these traditional Halloween festivities each year until we parted ways when we went off to college. Unfortunately, my childhood dreams did not transform into the realities I had hoped they would. As I grew older and my childhood friends and I grew into the teenagers we are today, Halloween treats morphed into exciting new tricks.

Luckily, not all of my favorite Halloween activities have vanished and become distant memories. There’s plenty of local opportunities for high school students to indulge in the Halloween spirit and celebrate the festive holiday without completely reverting to childhood festivities. Pumpkin patches and apple picking remain popular activities for people of all ages due to their family oriented nature. Carving pumpkins and making candy apples or other treats are Halloween essentials for all ages. Other traditions beloved by teenagers include haunted houses, horror movie marathons, and taking advantage of seasonal specialties, such as pumpkin flavored food or drinks.

“I love being scared! Haunted houses and scary movies are my favorites,” senior Amelia Woods said.  “I absolutely love pumpkin everything. Pumpkin coffee is heavenly.”

Additionally, a multitude of concerts occur each year on Halloween. Freaky Deaky, an annual Halloween horror themed music festival with over 75 acts, takes place from Oct. 30 to Nov. 1. The event takes place in Bridgeview, Illinois and is sponsored by React Presents, a music company which also partners with festivals such as North Coast Music Festival and Spring Awakening Music Festival. Notable acts include Bassnectar, 2 Chainz, Mac Miller, Pretty Lights, and Carnage. Unfortunately, the festival is for those aged 18 and older. Other concerts this Halloween weekend include The Front Bottoms, Mod Sun, and The Maine at the Bottom Lounge in Chicago and DJ Hardwell at the UIC Pavilion.

Huge festivals or expensive events aren’t required for a great Halloween. Often times, the small things are what create a memorable experience. Many companies and restaurants celebrate by hosting special promotions or events. This Halloween, show up to Chipotle in your costume and score a three dollar “Boorito”! If Halloween candy isn’t sweet enough for you, Starbucks will be brewing a vampire-inspired Frappula Frappachino from Oct. 28 to Oct. 31, a perfect way to get your Starbucks fix, while also getting into the spirit of the season.

For those who prefer more of a scare tactic on Halloween, there’s many ways to be scared out of your pants without breaking the bank! Currently, ABC Family is running a 13 Nights of Halloween scary movie marathon. Although Halloween classics ABC Family is showing, such as “Jeepers Creepers”, “Hocus Pocus”, and “Casper the Ghost”, aren’t the scariest flicks around, nothing sets the tone for Halloween better than holiday specials! With many horror films available for streaming via Netflix, Hulu, or on other online sources, there’s no excuse not to host a scary movie marathon!

Haunted houses are another option for those who love a good scare. Popular destinations include Statesville Haunted Prison in Lockport, 13th Floor Haunted House in Chicago, and the local Basement of the Dead Haunted House located here in Aurora. An interesting twist on the haunted house is the Haunted Hike in Elgin, hosted by the Boy Scouts of America. This treacherous hike leads participants through a demon infested woods and makes stops at three mini haunted houses along the way.

Don’t let your love of Halloween die out as you grow older. Assuming you’re “too old” for fun, timeless activities is a waste of not just one day, but an entire season filled with potential to relive childhood bliss.

“[Halloween] is an excuse to dress up and have fun,” said Metea alumna Julie Bade. “I would be trick or treating if the houses actually gave out candy to college kids. Halloween is a chance to be whatever or whoever you want for a night,” Bade added.