Music department’s ‘Collage’ continues to create holiday excitement

Music departments Collage continues to create holiday excitement

[quote]By Hailey Hagemaster
News Writer
Photos by Brittany Coates
Web edit by The Mane (Madison Mohns)[/quote]

Metea’s talented music department puts on their annual winter performance, Collage, displaying all of their bands, orchestras, and choirs, last Thursday and Friday in the auditorium. I was very eager to be able to see the show this year, and I was impressed, to say the least.

When I first walked into the auditorium, there was a projection of snowflakes on the walls making the room feel festive. The first few opening numbers set the mellow, welcoming mood, especially the classic song, “Noel”, sung by the men of Bass Chorus, Varsity Singers, and Chamber Singers.  The teachers did a great job of having popular holiday songs the audience recognized, as well as some cultural songs that were mixed in.

There were some awesome effects which included songs being played from the balconies, above the stage, and the fake falling snow released in the finale. It was impressive to see how quick the transitions were from one song to another. A group of students who are involved in Mission Impossible, the stage crew, help to set the scene perfect for every act.

Collage does a great job of showcasing all of the talent Metea has and puts everyone in the holiday mood. There were a number of extracurricular music groups that performed including The Muses, Apollo, United Voices, Jazz ensembles, Mustang Strings, and Splash of Color.

All of the students put in so much time and effort for this performance. Practice included coming after school and staying as late as 9:30 p.m. on some days, and giving up half of their lunch a few times.

“Even though you may have been sick of playing your instrument and been sick of your directors, it was worth it. I looked back on four amazing years and just smiled,” senior orchestra member Maddie Morris said.

Despite the stress, Collage is a rewarding experience for those involved in the concert. “Collage may be a bit stressful your first year with homework and rehearsals, but as you are a part of it more and more you learn to enjoy the concerts and gain more relationships,” Morris said.

An audience favorite was definitely the finale, which included all of the orchestras, bands, and choirs. They closed out the show with holiday favorites including “Jingle Bells” and “Silent Night”. It was awesome to experience everyone join in and sing the last few songs. There was plenty of holiday spirit to share. “I will 100 percent miss Collage. It’s just such a festive time of the year,” Morris said.

The entire community is welcome, but tickets run out quickly each year. I highly recommend going to Collage next year and definitely before leaving Metea.

“I’m excited to do more pieces and just have the whole experience again because it’s always just so much fun,” sophomore varsity choir singer Chetna Lange said.

[polldaddy poll=9220271]

View Comments (1)

• J

Joe FischerDec 8, 2015 at 9:20 am

who is that handsome guitar player with the orange and black Stratocaster?

Reply