Filed under News

Student walkout activities engage community

Photo courtesy of Alexa Jordan

Photo courtesy of Alexa Jordan

A variety of activities will take place in the Commons for students to participate in to accompany the student walkout occurring on Wed, March. 14. 

The student walkout is a student-led demonstration being held in support of the victims of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High shooting that occurred on Valentine’s Day and to promote student voice in the community.

Students can sign a large banner with the words “We march because…” and write why they personally are taking part. There is also poster board and markers for students to make signs to carry during the walkout. “This is happening throughout the week, before school, during lunch, and after school,” senior and member of the student delegation planning the walkout Hannah Roen said.

Following the walkout, there will be letter writing sessions. Students can attend sessions to write letters to their representatives or any other representative and detail what change they would like to see. “You would write a letter to Bill Foster, one of our representatives, or anyone like Ted Cruz for example and write why you think we should do this about gun violence or do this about the NRA,” Roen said.  

Students appreciate the engagement it is creating. “It’s pretty cool because this really allows us to be interactive with our community and feel like we’re doing something,” junior Claudia Vega said. “It also allows us to express why we personally are walking out, whatever you believe in whether it be gun control or student voice, you can express it,” Vega added.

The activities will continue throughout the week, and T-Shirts will be sold during all lunch periods today in the Commons.

About the Writer
Avani Shah, Headlines Reporter
Avani Shah is a headlines writer and a junior. This is her first year on staff. She is a martial artist and an active Twitter user. She can often be found petting every dog on her street, or @avaniishah on Twitter.

13 Responses to “Student walkout activities engage community”

1. axiet on March 13th, 2018 7:08 am

… and skipping class…

For real though, most people who are “participating” are just using this as an excuse to skip class not to actually bring ‘awareness’ for “student voice”.

Samuel Williams Reply:

The protest may just be about trying to stop an endemic of gun violence and help maintain physical safety for students, as opposed to trying to get out of 20 minutes of class once.

axiet Reply:

I didn’t say it wasn’t, just the fact that most students won’t have that “The protest may just be about trying to stop an endemic of gun violence and help maintain physical safety for students” mentality.

ahmed Reply:

I agree with you some students wanted to skip class but the majority wanted to participate

john woods Reply:

Skipping class will be a big reason for the big turn out. They should have put the walkout after school and see how many people actually would show up.

Susan Dixon Reply:

A lot of us will be marching in the March For Our Lives in Glen Ellyn on March 24 and that’s a Saturday.

darkstripe Reply:

you do realize there’s a whole march planned on the 24th outside of school, correct?

2. Killian Kenny on March 13th, 2018 8:51 am

It’s activities like this that give me hope for our generation. We are the generation of change, we will inherit this world, so now it’s time to clean up the messes that our predecessors have left for us. Where else to begin than by securing the safety of generations to come?

Stevie Wonder Reply:

We have about as much of an ability to create change as Hitler had the ability to love Jews.

darkstripe Reply:

“we don’t have the ability to create change”
    yet in 4 years or less we will have the ability to vote and will eventually be an adult generation with as much power as the baby boomers/gen x have now
    hmmm

Susan Dixon Reply:

Yes – and please don’t give up. There is too much at stake. You CAN create change. Read about what they did in Australia and Japan.

Someone Educated Reply:

Yeah and what did they do in Australia and Japan? how did that work out, crime has increased with other means of violence in these two countries.

3. Cian28 on March 19th, 2018 9:05 am

Community…
    Just not for Conservatives, we are oppressed as hell in this school. No first amendment at all…

• Student walkout activities engage community

News

Unified basketball team receives mayoral recognition

News

‘Our Town’ introduces new take on theater

News

BREAKING NEWS: Student found with a knife at school

News

LMC holds author visit with actor Keegan Allen

The Mane

The rise of kids dropping Encore classes

News

WE Day motivates students to make a difference

News

Senior checkout in LMC to return Chromebooks

News

Vote for your most influential teacher

News

Submit your questions for Keegan Allen

News

Submit your “Senior Secret”