Filed under News

The Stampede selected as 2018 Pacemaker finalist

The Stampede, Metea Valley’s news magazine, was selected as a 2018 Pacemaker Finalist by the National Scholastic Press Association last Friday.

As one of only 61 high schools selected from across the country, The Stampede’s editor-in-chief Kellie Foy felt truly honored. “It’s so rewarding to see all our hard work pay off,” Foy said.

Principal Dr. Darrell Echols couldn’t agree more. “It’s a tribute to the hard work that [the students] put in,” Echols said.

The Stampede’s 2017-2018 editor-in-chief, Hailey Hagemaster, graduated last year.  “Everything that we produced was to inform our community because that’s what being a good journalist meant. Getting nominations and awards is just recognition for all the hard work that we put into every story and every page,” Hagemaster said.

To be selected, The Stampede submitted six editions of the 2017-2018 news magazine. Adviser Adam Page, regardless of awards, pushed the students to do the best that they can. “[Mr.] Page always tells us that we don’t do journalism for the awards,” Foy said.

“[The students] tackle the tough issues, [and] the Pacemaker recognizes overall excellence,” Page said. Of the 61 high school finalists, 25 will be recognized as a Pacemaker publication. The winners will be announced at the National High School Journalism Convention held by the Journalism Education Association and the NSPA this November in Chicago.

James Turnbull, Headines Reporter

James Turnbull, when not procrastinating, can often be found in the music wing and percussion room. He is a drum major of the marching band, a percussionist in wind ensemble, and an avid member of MV’s Youth and Government club. He enjoys reading about politics and current events, particularly The Economist.

Maddie Crabtree, Metea Media Editor-in-Chief

Maddie Crabtree is a Senior and the Editor-in-Chief of Metea Media. She has been on staff for three years and has a huge passion for all things journalism. She placed first in Illinois and third in the nation for review writing this past year. Besides journalism, Maddie has also been on cheer for the last three years. Maddie is almost always at a Warriors Hockey game too. If she’s not in the newsroom or cheer, she’s probably just scrolling through Twitter (@omgeemaddie) or Instagram (@maddie_crabtree).

1 Comment

One Response to “The Stampede selected as 2018 Pacemaker finalist”

1. Todd Redman on September 17th, 2018 7:49 am

Congratulations, newspaper staff! I can tell by the few weeks that I’ve been with you that you all work very hard and diligently, with excellent results. I’m looking forward to what the new year will bring!

• The Stampede selected as 2018 Pacemaker finalist

News

Junior English Classes Present and Discuss Community Issues

News

Various music groups showcase talents at universities

News

UPDATE: Neuqua searched, found safe by police following bomb threat

News

Key Club backpack drive helps students in need

News

The Turning Pointe Autism Foundation organizes their third annual Pumpkin Race

News

AuthorFest Provides Enriching Opportunities for Students

News

District 204 skirts Illinois legislation regarding menstrual products

News

Kennedy Homan selected as Pacemaker finalist

News

Emmy winning journalist Enrique Rodriguez discusses the importance of journalism for Latino Heritage Month.

News

Abbey Malbon selected as a Pacemaker Finalist