Former choir director charged with criminal sexual abuse of a former student

Sofia Jubraj, Long-form & Diversity Editor

Former Metea Valley choir director Nathan Bramstedt was taken into custody on Friday by the Aurora Police Department (APD) under multiple felony charges of inappropriate sexual misconduct. Bramstedt faces a minimum 32 years in prison if convicted of all charges.  

The DuPage County State Attorney’s Office has charged Bramstedt with nine felony counts of criminal sexual assault and three felony counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault. The alleged victim is a former Metea Valley student.

Bramstedt, who began teaching at District 204 in 2004, was put on administrative leave over a year ago after District 204 was notified of the ongoing criminal investigation. Bramstedt shortly sent his letter of resignation, which the district accepted. 

“We will be providing support at school to any student who may need to discuss this issue,” Indian Prairie School District said in a statement. “The district has cooperated fully with the police to support their investigation.” 

The APD has been working closely with DuPage County Children’s Center throughout the investigation. The DuPage County State Attorney’s Office and the APD released a joint statement on Saturday regarding the charges. 

“It is alleged that beginning in February 2019, through June 2019, Bramstedt sexually assaulted his victim, who was seventeen years old at the time, on multiple occasions at multiple locations within the school,” The Aurora Police Department said in a statement. “The alleged abuse came to light when the victim reported it to authorities last year.”

The bond has been set at $500,000 by Judge Susan Alvarado. Bramstedt’s next court appearance is an arraignment scheduled for May 2, 2022, with presiding Judge Daniel Guerin.