MV Softball hosts fundraiser game against cancer

Guest article courtesy of MV Yearbook

Last week, The Metea Valley Softball team hosted their annual “Strike Out Cancer Game” against Waubonsie Valley. Both teams decided to use the funds earned by the event to support charities that aided research and awareness for various types of cancer.

Elise Titiner, a sophomore on varsity, had discovered the story of Gabriella Miller, on facebook, and had been following her story ever since. At the young age of 10, Gabriella was diagnosed with a brain tumor the size of a walnut. Gabriella’s family was heartbroken when they found out that it was inoperable. As a symbol of their daughter’s fight with cancer, they began literally smashing walnuts with a frying pan in their kitchen. While she was battling cancer, her family created the Smashing Walnuts Foundation allowing Gabriella’s legacy live on even after she died.

Titiner found a way to support the cause while also playing the game she loves. She got together with her teammates and began organizing a fundraiser for the Smashing Walnuts Foundation. The softball team sold t-shirts to their peers, neighbors, and teachers, raising a total of $3,000. All of the proceeds raised by the fundraiser went to support pediatric brain cancer research. “Coach Kalivas was insanely supportive through the whole thing,” said sophomore Elise Titiner. Everyone agreed that the girls worked very hard to accomplish something that really mattered.

The Lady Mustangs were challenged to really put their hearts into the game. Even though they didn’t win the game, they were able to spread awareness for a great cause. “I’m so happy with how the game turned out,” said sophomore Elise Titiner “It really became so much bigger than I could’ve ever hoped.” Whether students purchased a t-shirt or even just came to watch the game, the team can’t thank them enough. Here at Metea, students have big things in mind. Putting their heads together, the Lady Mustangs were able to make a lasting impression, and proved that with a little hard work and determination, anything is possible.

Story by Madison Mohns

Photo gallery by Abbey Coclasure