Weekly Sports Update: Aug. 24-29

Boys’ Soccer

The team fell to Jacobs High School 2-0 in its season opener Aug. 24. Thursday, the team played defending state champion Hinsdale Central and were shut out again 2-0.  The Mustangs’ next game is Thursday at 6:30 p.m. away at Stagg High School. “We played timid against Hinsdale Central and gave them way too much respect. We should have stuck with what we had been training in practice, but we couldn’t adjust to their style of play. We played much better in the second half, but couldn’t finish on our chances,” senior midfielder Michael Adams said.

Girls’ Volleyball

The Mustangs defeated Oswego East in two sets, 25-20 and 25-14, in their first game of the season at home last Tuesday. Coach MacDonald and the squad completed its second win of the season at home Wednesday in another two set win, 25-17 and 25-16. The program hosted its own Mustang Invitational Saturday, where the Mustangs finished fifth overall. The team’s next game is Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. against Yorkville at home. “After overcoming the nerves and winning our first game, we came out strong and came out confident to win in two sets against Glenbard East,” senior outside hitter Natalie Krasuski said. Read our story on the team’s first game here.

Girls' Vball

Girls’ Golf

In its first match-ups of the season, the team lost to Neuqua Valley 193-186 Aug.24 and lost to Naperville North 177-157 Thursday. Senior Katelyn Kline finished third individually at the Aurora City Meet at Phillips Park Wednesday, and senior Erin Foster finished fifth individually. “Although we may not have been able to place as high as we hoped, many people improved and shot some of their lowest scores ever,” Kline said.

Football

The team lost its first game of the season Friday to District 204 rival Neuqua Valley 38-14. Senior Maurice Burkley scored the Mustangs’ first touchdown of the game during the second quarter, and junior Alonzo Taylor Jones scored the second touchdown during the third quarter. The Mustangs will face Naperville North Friday night at Mustang Stadium. “We definitely didn’t play to our full potential out there, but it’s only week one, so there are a lot of games left to prove ourselves,” senior quarterback Conner Lovely said. Read our game recap on week one here.

Boys’ Golf

Senior David Lipan lead his team in a 154-154 tie vs. Neuqua Valley Tuesday by shooting a 36, the lowest score of the team. Freshman Scott Boyajian shot a 38 at Fox Bend Thursday vs. Naperville North, but the team fell short losing 159-151. The team’s next match is Tuesday at 2:00 p.m. in the Oswego Panther Scrambler Invite at Blackberry Oaks Golf Course. “Strong senior leadership from Mark and some great golf from Scott and Jack, who are both first year varsity golfers, have helped us play well so far. Although we haven’t come out on top yet, our consistency has shown that we can play well and will be able to find a way to win,” Lipan said.

Girls’ Cross Country

Despite a rain out that prevented upperclassmen from running, freshmen and sophomore Mustangs finished in the top six at the Aurora City Meet Saturday at Marmion Academy. The girls finished in order: Terri Scarlet (Fr.), Carly Cast (Fr.), Kate Jordan (So.), Becky Gabriel (So.), Maeve Riordan (So.), and Emily Alt (Fr.) in sixth. “It felt good to see everyone do so well on Saturday and it’s a great confidence boost to start the season on such a good note. I hope the success continues,” Riordan said.