Weekly Sports Update: 8/31-9/05

[quote]By Drew Danko
Online Editor[/quote]

Boys’ Golf

The team took second out of 18 teams with a score of 58 in the Oswego Panther Scrambler Invite Tuesday at Blackberry Oaks Golf Course. Freshman Scott Boyajian led his team this past week, finishing with a 37 in a close loss to Wheaton North 163-159 Wednesday, and shot a 75 to finish in the top 20 individually at the Fenton Invite Saturday. The team’s next match is Tuesday vs. Waubonsie Valley at 4:30 p.m. at Phillips Park Golf Course. “It felt great to play well this week, but it is all about the teamwork,” Boyajian said.

Boys Golf Week 9-5[quote]Photo courtesy of Boys’ Golf @MVHSboysgolf[/quote]

Girls’ Volleyball

The Mustangs defeated Yorkville Tuesday in three sets: 25-22, 22-25, and 25-19. Sophomore Mikaila Dowd led the Mustangs Tuesday with 12 kills, and junior Miranda Cada completed a double double with 23 assists and 11 digs. After going 2-1 in pool play at the Willowbrook Invite Friday, the Mustangs defeated West Chicago in two sets 25-21 and 25-17 to win the tournament Saturday morning. Dowd had 37 kills in the tournament, senior Natalie Krasuski followed closely with 37 kills, and Cada had 62 assists. “It felt amazing winning the tournament this weekend – we all had amazing energy and supported each other through the whole thing,” Dowd said.

Girls VB Weekly 9-5
[quote]Photo by The Stampede[/quote]

Girls’ Tennis

In its first match of the season, the girls’ tennis team swept South Elgin Tuesday at home 7-0. The team won the Lincolnway West Quad tournament Saturday, going 10-0 in its first two rounds against Plainfield East and Joliet. The tournament was cancelled before the third round due to weather, but the Mustangs were named the tournament champions. “Winning was great, there was a little pressure coming into the tournament, as we were the defending champions,” senior Maddie Matty said.

[quote]Photo courtesy of Linda Matty[/quote]

Girls’ Golf

The team lost in a close 183-175 match against Naperville Central at Phillips Park Tuesday, and defeated Wheaton North 192-181 at Arrowhead Wednesday. Katelyn Kline led the Mustangs individually against Wheaton North, shooting a 39. “At the Naperville City meet, we lost to Naperville Central by a lot. Tuesday, it was much closer and we can already see our improvements from the beginning of the season,” senior Erin Foster said.

Girls’ Swimming

In its first dual meet of the season, the girls’ swimming team defeated Benet Academy 110-55 at home Thursday. Senior Jacquelyn Kurkjian finished in first place in the 100 back and made the state cut with a time of 58.86 seconds. “The meet was really exciting, and to win backstroke and go under the state cut was an added bonus. I think this year our team is stronger than ever and this meet proved our growth as a team with many girls going their best times,” Kurkjian said.

Boys’ Soccer

Coach Josh Robinson and his team celebrated its first win of the season Thursday, a 2-1 win over Stagg High School. Senior Brandon Howard scored on an assist by Ryan Barry, and senior Michael Adams scored on an Esteban Castillo assist. “The first win is usually the hardest, winning was a big weight off of everyone’s shoulders. We played our game, and it led to two goals and a much needed win,” senior Ryan Donovan said. The soccer team will play District 204 rival Neuqua Valley Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. at Mustang Stadium.

Football

The band played the school fight song as fans rushed the field to celebrate a monumental 29-28 win over Naperville North that came from 21 Mustang points scored in the fourth quarter and a missed field goal attempt in the last seconds of the game by the Huskies. Senior receiver Brad Fekety, who caught the final touchdown, was excited the team got its first win for the Mustang community. “The win was huge for our program – our first win in the DVC to show the conference what Metea Valley is made of,” Fekety said. You can read our full game recap here. The Mustangs (1-1, 1-1), will play Naperville Central (2-0, 2-0) at Naperville Central Friday night at 7:30 p.m..

Football Weekly 9-5[quote]Photo by Alexis Rizzi[/quote]

Cross Country

The boys’ and girls’ cross country teams competed Saturday at the Hinsdale Invite at Katherine Legge Memorial Park. Junior Nicki Cast finished seventh overall in the girls race, and the girls finished ninth overall out of 23 teams at the meet. Sophomore Ralph Papa led the Mustang boys, finishing 21 overall. “The Hinsdale meet always has great competition, and our team competed well. Individually, I feel like it was also a great way to start the season. From last year to this year, I have improved my time by almost two minutes on that course,” Cast said.