Weekly Sports Update: 9/28-10/03

Weekly Sports Update: 9/28-10/03

Boys’ Golf

Boys’ golf ended their regular season play on a high note. At senior night, the team won 161-164 over Lake Park. At conference, the boys finished 4th with a score of 324, led by senior David Lipan who placed 3rd individually. At the Lemont invite, the boys took third despite unfavorable conditions. This week, the team has their sights set on IHSA regionals on Oct. 6.

[quote]By Nirmal Mulaikal
Sports Editor[/quote]

Girls’ Golf

Girl’s golf had an outstanding week, shooting a season low of 170 to defeat the Lake Park Lancers. Krysti Chin, a junior on varsity #3 contributed to the win by shooting the season low of 42. “It was an awesome feeling and confidence booster! I hope to play well again and help my team succeed at regionals,” Chin said. Varsity #4 also shot a season low of 46. On Tuesday, the Mustangs also competed in the DVC golf tournament at Bartlett Hills Golf Course, where they placed fifth. 

[quote]By Ashley Walker
Social Media Editor[/quote]

Girls’ Tennis

Last week, the Mustangs won 7-0 against Glenbard North on Wednesday and 6-1 against Wheaton St. Francis on Thursday. The girls also individually performed well on Saturday at the Naperville North Invite. “Everyone on the team puts in a lot of effort and are really focused on doing their best on every match… I’m excited for this week’s matches and conference, and I think we’ll do well because everything we’ve done up until now has been in preparation for the end of the season,” junior Stephanie Wu said. This upcoming week, the Mustangs will face Rosary Aurora Christian, West Aurora, and Waubonsie Valley. They will be competing in the DVC conference tournament on Friday and Saturday as well.

[quote]By Qiyuan Zhou
Graphics[/quote]

Boys’ Soccer

The team prevailed with their third conference win against rival Waubonsie Valley on Tuesday. They shut out 3-0 with goals from sophomore Ryan Barry, and seniors Michael Adams and John Lynch on a free kick.  Varsity started off the season with a 1-5 record, however, they have won six of the last eight games and show promise to be on the up-rise for the rest of the season. Although they lost at home to Lake Park 1-0 in a conference match-up on Thursday, positive attitudes and dedication within their practice and training may allow them to continue to pull through. The team will start off the week with the Waubonsie Varsity invite against Batavia at home on Monday. You can read more about the team’s win over WV here

[quote]By Alicia Diaz
News Editor[/quote]

Girls’ Volleyball

Mustang volleyball started off the week with a great win over Naperville Central in just two games, first game 25-11 and the second game ending 25-19. They then had a hard fought match against Downers Grove. Winning the first game 25-17, losing the second game 17-25 and then losing after a battle in the last game 23-25. Junior Miranda Cada is looking forward to the upcoming week. “Overall the week went well, we know how to play but we just have to come out and play the way we say we can,” Cada said. “We are just really focusing on this upcoming Waubonsie game, it’s going to be an exciting week ahead of us.”

[quote]By Lanie Lobdell
Features Writer[/quote]

Girls’ Swimming

The girls’ swimming program had another successful week and are continuing to build off of their successes. The girls took third place overall in the Downers Grove North Varsity Invite. The program took second in the 200 yard medley relay thanks to seniors Amanda Burson and Madie Sandberg, sophomore Sadie Gregory, and freshman Rylee Stone. Senior Amanda Burson also finished second in the 50 yard freestyle.

[quote]By Turner Smith
Editor-in-Chief[/quote]

Football

In the homecoming game, football fell to Lake Park in a well-fought 21-12 loss. Despite the Mustang defense pushing the Lancer defense to numerous three-and-outs in the game, the Lancers bested them with two more touchdowns in their win. The Mustangs led 9-0 after the first quarter on an Amiri Finner five-yard touchdown run, and a field goal by Conner Lovely. The Lancers managed to score twice before the half, putting the Mustangs behind 13-9 at the half. Lovely’s 19-yard field goal was good in the second half, but the offense was not able to score again after a Lancer score to make it 21-12 late in the game.

[quote]By Drew Danko
Online Editor[/quote]

Cross Country

The girls’ and boys’ cross country team competed in the St. Charles North invite, where the girls finished fifth out of 21 teams. Junior Nicki Cast, who finished seventeenth overall and first out of Metea, thought this difficult course was a good lesson for her team. “Even though our times were slower, the race was still great because it helps us become better runners and learn to build better racing strategies,” Cast said. The boys team, who placed sixteenth, did a great job persevering through the tough weather and hilly grounds. Despite losing a shoe, sophomore Ralph Papa, who placed nineteenth, had a great weekend. “Overall, I thought I competed very well in what was a competitive race and was happy I found my shoe afterwards,” Papa said. This Wednesday the Mustangs will compete in the Naperville North Twilight Invite. 

[quote]By Ashley Walker
Social Media Editor[/quote]