Weekly Sports Update: 10/05-10/12

Weekly Sports Update: 10/05-10/12

Boys’ Golf

The boys’ golf team finished their season with strong showings at regionals and sectionals. Seniors David Lipan, who was crowned individual regional champion, and Mark Prakash helped the team qualify for sectionals, scoring 70 and 76 respectively. After placing sixth at sectionals, the team failed to advance to state; however, Lipan finished fifth overall and ultimately secured a spot at state this Friday and Saturday at Prairie Vista Golf Course in Bloomington.

By Nirmal Mulaikal
Sports Editor

Girls’ Golf

The team finished with a score of 365 and in third place at the Waubonsie Valley regional to send themselves as a team to the Neuqua Valley sectional, where they scored a 352 and finished ninth overall. Senior Katelyn Kline shot a 75 individually and finished third overall, sending herself to the state tournament for the fourth and final time this weekend at Red Tail Run Golf Course in Peoria. Coach Robert Jordan was proud of the team’s performance at the sectional. “The girls did great. They shot right around what we thought they would do. We’re in with a lot of strong teams,” Jordan said. You can read more about Kline’s performance at the sectional tournament here.

By Drew Danko
Online Editor

Girls’ Tennis

This week, the Mustangs won 4-3 against Aurora Christian Rosary in doubles on Monday, 5-2 against West Aurora on Tuesday, and 4-3 against Waubonsie Valley on Wednesday. In the conference tournament on Friday, two doubles partners made it to the second round after beating Neuqua before falling to Central. The singles all lost the first round. The team finished 6th overall above Waubonsie. “Overall I’m really proud of the team and all of the upsets that we had this week.” junior Michelle He said. This upcoming week, the Mustangs will be competing in the IHSA sectional tournaments at Naperville North on Friday and Saturday.

By Qiyuan Zhou
Graphics

Boys’ Soccer

Varsity pulled through this past week to win the Waubonsie Warrior Invite. “It was really exciting being the first team in Metea history to win the tournament,” senior John Lynch said. They started off the week defeating Batavia 3-1 on Monday with goals from sophomores Nathan Barrett and Ryan Barry, and junior Wes Anderson. The Mustangs fought hard against West Chicago on their Senior Night, tying 1-1 with a goal from senior John Lynch. They continued the streak with a shutout win, 3-0, against Hinsdale South on Saturday. The three goals came from senior Michael Adams (2) and junior Dominic Duffy. The team trumped Elgin 4-1 in the championship match, ending the game with a penalty kick shootout. “Our team’s leadership and confidence has grown a lot since the start of the season, and that helped us recover from our slow start,” Lynch said. The team lost 3-0 to Naperville North Monday at home.

By Alicia Diaz
News Editor

Girls’ Volleyball

It was a very successful week for the girls’ volleyball team as they triumphed greatly in their dig pink game against rival, Waubonsie Valley, winning the first game 25-12 and the second game 25-19. Although they lost against Wheaton North, the real focus of the week was the breast cancer game. Senior Alexis Bass was proud of her team’s win over Waubonsie and playing for such a great cause. “Our energy and positivity is what we’ve struggled with, it’s been up-and-down this whole season and we finally were able to control that and capitalize on that with every play,” Bass said. “This was a fun match, our fans were amazing and not only were we playing for one another but for any woman who has fought breast cancer.” Bass led her team with 9 kills for the night. 

By Lanie Lobdell
Features Writer

Girls’ Swimming

The girls’ swimming program netted a number of high-placements in this week’s events. The program took seventh place out of 15 teams in the St. Charles North Varsity Invite. Senior Madie Sandberg took fourth place in the 200-yard freestyle event, senior Amanda Burson took third place in the 100-yard freestyle event, and senior Jackquelyn Kurkjian took second in the 100-yard backstroke event. Along with a decorated week in individual events, seniors Burson and Sandberg, along with sophomores Anna Scovill and Sadie Gregory took second place in the 200 freestyle relay.

By Turner Smith
Editor-in-Chief

Football

Last Friday, the Mustangs (3-4) beat the Wheaton Warrenville South Tigers (1-6), 12-6. The Mustangs came out on fire the first half with an interception by Amiri Finner and touchdown by Ben Loutsis, putting them up 6-0. “In the first half, we came out determined to make the first punch, but in the second, we came out a little sluggish. Although, we knew we wanted to play in the playoffs so we push through the pain,” Finner said. Despite the cold weather, the Mustangs persevered throughout the rest of the night, stopping the Tiger’s offense and performing well defensively. Senior corner, Reggie Hill, stopped two game-changing passes, keeping the Mustangs in the lead after another touchdown by Loutsis. This week the Mustangs will play for a necessary win over Glenbard North in order to keep playoff eligibility possible. 

By Ashley Walker
Social Media Editor

Cross Country

Cross country had an awesome week competing in the Naperville North Twilight Invite. The girls team finished sixth, with two juniors, Nicki Cast and Leana Goldman, placing within the top 20. “Even though we’re competing in a new conference, I think our team will use the new competition to run better races. I think everyone will do great at conference on Friday,” Cast said. The boys finished tenth, with Ralph Papa tying for seventeenth. “I was very proud of our team effort, and we are feeling very confident heading into conference,” Papa said. This Friday, the Mustangs participate in the DVC meet at the Lake Park East Campus.

By Ashley Walker
Social Media Editor