Weekly Sports Update 10/13-10/17

Weekly Sports Update 10/13-10/17

Boys’ Golf

The boys’ golf team’s season ended with David Lipan’s performance at state. He finished with a score of 84, placing him 86th overall at state. “I accomplished my goal this year of making state and had a great four years representing my school,” Lipan said.

By Nirmal Mulaikal
Sports Editor

Girls’ Golf

It was a huge week for senior, Katelyn Kline, as she took on state for her fourth year. Kline shot a 79 on day one of the meet and a 74 on day two to finish sixth in state. “I was really happy with how I played the second day, and it ended up being good for sixth place which was really exciting and a good way to end,” said Kline. Congratulations, Katelyn! The Mustangs had a great season ending with a final record of 5-5, not including meets.

By Ashley Walker
Social Media Editor

Girls’ Tennis

This week, the Mustangs competed at the IHSA sectional tournament. First and second singles and doubles attended the tournament. The team performed better than it has done in any previous year. Everybody won in the first round except for second doubles (who played a second seed team). In the second round, however, only first doubles (Michelle He and Tarika Pate) were able to win (6-0, 6-2 against Central). The duo will compete in the IHSA state final tournament this weekend. “This week will be about working on little things but not changing our whole style,” junior Michelle He said when asked about the preparation she will be doing prior to this weekend’s tournament.

By Qiyuan Zhou
Graphics

Boys’ Soccer

Varsity put up a strong front, but was defeated 0-3 by Naperville North on Monday. They continued to take on tough opponents with a match against Plainfield North, ranked number two in the sectional, on Thursday. Although they fought hard, the Mustangs lost 0-2. The team will go on to face Oswego in the regional semifinals at Bolingbrook on Wednesday. “In order for us to fulfill our goals of winning a regional and keeping our season alive for as long as possible, all we really need to do is execute,” senior Esteban Castillo said. “We have the talent, heart, and leadership necessary to get us where we want to be. It’s just a matter of if we go out and do what we know we can,” Castillo added.

By Alicia Diaz
News Editor

Girls’ Volleyball

Mustang girls’ volleyball had a victorious week sweeping both matches they played. Beating Lake Park first set, 25-18 and second set, 25-14, on Tuesday to cap off the seniors’ last game played on the court at home. Then on Thursday, the team beat Wheaton Warrenville South first set, 25-21 and second set, 25-20. They are looking forward to another positive outcome next week as they play Glenbard North Tuesday night. 

By Lanie Lobdell
Features Writer

Girls’ Swimming

The girls’ swim program managed a win of 130-32 against Glenbard North High School on Oct. 15, the first week with coach Tom Schweer back from a knee replacement surgery. With recent success in relay events and individual events, they picked up a much needed win this week to improve their win total to four. The program managed a clean sweep at both the varsity and junior varsity levels with the help of Schweer’s return. Schweer was a decorated athletic director at three high schools, including Metea Valley, before coaching. “With Schweer back, we hope to keep improving through the next couple weeks,” senior Madie Sandberg said.

By Turner Smith
Editor-in-Chief

Football

The team experienced a tough 45-9 loss against state-ranked Glenbard North Friday night. After two points from a safety in the second quarter, Metea’s lone score came from runningback and senior Mitch Webb late in the game. “It was pretty exciting scoring on varsity for the first time, but it didn’t feel right because as a team we weren’t playing Mustang football on Friday night,” Webb said. The Mustangs will finish up their season Friday at home vs. the team’s sole non-conference match-up of its season, West Aurora.

By Drew Danko
Online Editor

Cross Country

Last week, the Mustangs competed in the DVC meet at the Lake Park East Campus. Girls’ varsity finished third out of nine, with three top 15 finishes (Nicki Cast, ninth place; Leana Goldman, tenth place; Terri Scarlett, thirteenth place).  “It was a great race and I was happy with my performance, but most of all I was so proud of my team for taking third,” Scarlett said. “We are so excited to compete at regionals and represent Metea,” she added. Boys’ varsity finished eighth, with Ralph Papa leading the team, placing thirteenth overall. This Saturday, head out to Kress Creek Farm to cheer on both teams in  the IHSA regional meet.

By Ashley Walker
Social Media Editor