Weekly Sports Update: 10/26-10/31

Weekly Sports Update: 10/26-10/31

Girls’ Volleyball

Girls’ volleyball lost a well-fought match to rival Waubonsie Valley Tuesday in the Waubonsie Valley regional semifinal. The team lost in two sets: 25-13, 25-22, and finished with a winning record of 19-15 overall. In its first year in the competitive DuPage Valley Conference, the team finished fourth place. “Our nerves got the best of us. We had amazing fans, who I can’t thank enough, and some calls that didn’t go our way unfortunately,” senior Alexis Bass said. “It was surreal. [Talking after the game] was a crazy moment with the team and a coach who has been one of my biggest mentors ever, since I stepped into Metea, even before school started freshman year.”

By Drew Danko
Online Editor

Girls’ Swimming

The girls’ swim program entered its first conference meet in the DVC this past week and finished in fifth place overall. Freshman Rylee Stone finished in 5th place in the 200 yard individual medley relay, senior Amanda Burson finished in 2nd place in the 50 yard freestyle, senior Madie Sandberg got 2nd place in the 100 yard freestyle, Burson finished in 3rd place in the 100 yard freestyle, senior Jacquelyn Kurkjian finished in 100 yard backstroke, and the 400 yard freestyle relay team consisting of Burson, Kurkjian, Sandberg, and sophomore Anna Scovill.

By Turner Smith
Editor-in-Chief

Cross Country

Despite rough conditions and heavy rain, the girls’ cross country team finished in fifth place at sectionals Saturday, marking the first time the whole team will be able to move on and compete together at the state meet on Saturday at Detweiller Park in Peoria. Junior Nicki Cast led the Mustangs with a time of 17:57 and finished in eighth place overall, freshman Terri Scarlett followed soon after with a time of 18:25, which was good for 20th place in the meet. “We had a common goal of making it to state since the beginning of state and by achieving it, we were able to prove that we are hardworking and determined,” Cast said.

By Drew Danko
Online Editor