2016’s top moments in sports

Although there’s still three weeks to go this year, 2016 has been a year full of memorable sports moments. From broken championship droughts to new records, there have been plenty of highlights for fans to get excited about. Here are four standout moments from the year.

Cubs win World Series
Just one year removed from the infamous Back to the Future” prediction, the Cubs broke a 108-year drought to win baseball’s World Series. With the most dominant pitching in baseball and lights-out hitting, the Cubs made Chicago proud, holding a victory parade downtown with just over five million in attendance. The win was the first time since 1985 that a team came back from a 3-1 deficit in the World Series.

Broncos win Super Bowl 50
Going up against a 15-1 Carolina Panthers team with NFL MVP and star quarterback Cam Newton, the Denver Broncos proved that the underdog can never be counted out. With an early lead, they never trailed back and had stellar defense, as linebacker Von Miller was named Super Bowl MVP. However, it was a special game for Peyton Manning, arguably one of the greatest starting quarterbacks to play the game. He was able to finish his 18-year career with his second championship. As he ended his career, he has the record number of Pro Bowl appearances (14), passing yards (71,940), and touchdown passes (539).

U.S. shines at the Olympics
The Olympics always brings memorable moments, but this year set some new highs. While swimmer Katie Ledecky and gymnast Simone Biles have dominated over the years, both of them had notable breakouts in this year’s games, and they couldn’t have been better. Biles helped the U.S. win gold in the team event, in addition to winning the individual all-around and two more golds with one bronze. Ledecky set world records in two freestyle events, and went on to bring back four gold medals. Lastly, it was an emotional but remarkable games for swimmer Michael Phelps, one of the greatest swimmers in Olympic history. In his final race before retirement, he was able help the U.S. win in the 400 meter medley relay, finishing his career with 28 medals overall. 23 of them being gold.

Cavaliers win NBA championship
Yet another underdog victory, the Cleveland Cavaliers were able to rebound from a 3-1 series deficit and defeat the 73-9 Golden State Warriors in seven games in a rematch of the 2015 NBA Finals. This was the first championship for the entire city of Cleveland since 1964, and it was the first time since 1978 that Game 7 had been won by the road team. Superstar LeBron James was named the series MVP, continuing to put him in the conversation as one of the all-time greatest players in the game.

View Comments (4)
Connor Smith
Connor Smith, Spotlight Editor
Connor Smith is a senior and the Stampede's spotlight editor. He is thrilled to return for his second year on staff, as he previously served as sports editor during the 2016-17 school year. Aside from the Stampede, Connor also is a member of Metea's Chamber Choir and Madrigals group, in addition to being a FreshConnect mentor. He loves music, travel, sports and is interested in pursuing journalism as a post-secondary goal.

• T

Tyler BurleysonDec 13, 2016 at 7:46 pm

“While swimmer Katie Ledecky and gymnast Simone Biles have dominated over the years, both of them had their Olympic debuts, and they couldn’t have been better.”

Katie Ledecky won gold in the 800m freestyle in the 2012 olympics, and set an American Record. She swam 4 seconds faster than the girl who got silver, and she was only 15 at the time she qualified. Give her some credit, she’s the world’s greatest athlete currently competing.

Reply
  • N

NateDec 13, 2016 at 9:34 am

The warriors blew a 3-1 Lead in the NBA Finals with a 73-9 record (the best in NBA history), the first ever unanimous MVP, and lost Game 7 at home. Lebron is the greatest of all time.

Reply
  • W

Warriors Hockey ClubDec 12, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Reply
  • P

Peyton HughesDec 12, 2016 at 10:29 am

Why no mention of the Penguins winning the Stanley Cup?

Reply
2016’s top moments in sports