Weekly Sports Update: Winter Break

Kainin Blissett

Boys’ Basketball By Connor Smith
This past Friday, the varsity boys fell 54-55 in a nail-biter to Waubonsie at the Warrior gym. They also took a tough 37-48 loss at Lake Park on Saturday. Despite back-to-back losses, the team looks to succeed with a trio of games this weekend at Wheaton Warrenville South as part of the annual M.L.K. invite, and still has plenty of morale with nine regular season games left (five home and four away).

Girls’ Basketball By Kellie Foy
The varsity girls basketball team won 56-36, against Harlem High School on Dec. 27. The team fell short to Wheaton Warrenville South 22-57 on Jan. 3, however. The team has a game at Lake Park on Jan. 10 and at home against Neuqua Valley on Jan. 14. The sophomore team lost to Wheaton Warrenville South 11-36. The team also fell short to Glenbard North 23-25. The JV team also lost to Glenbard North, losing 24-26.

Wrestling By Peter Hinds
The team held the practices as usual and attended a tournament over the break. The tournament they went to was called “The Cheesehead,” and it was held at Klaukauna high school in Wisconsin. The team came in came in 19th place overall, with Phillip Sims and Bobby Papiernik both earning medals at the tournament.

Boys’ Swim and Dive By Zainie Qureshi
The swim and dive team held their usual three and a half hour practices over break, but look to get back into tournaments and competitions as usual this January.

Cheer By Kainin Blissett
The Mustang varsity cheerleaders had a competition this past weekend at the Buffalo Grove Invite, where they took home 5th place.

Girls’ Bowling By Maddie Crabtree
The girls’ bowling team attended the Plainfield South Invite on Dec. 27, where the team took 11th overall (in a tie), while posting a score of 867.