Weekly Sports Update: Spring Break

Kainin Blissett

Boys’ Track and Field By Connor Smith
Over Spring Break, the varsity boys’ track and field team participated in the Illinois Top Times indoor meet at Illinois Wesleyan University. One highlight was a 4th place finish from senior Alonzo Taylor-Jones in the 60 meter final, coming in with a time of 6.92. Junior Ralph Papa also set a new personal record in the 3200 meter race, with a time of 9:41.41. Both teams continue to prepare for outdoor track season, which begins this Saturday with the Norm Armstrong Invite at Belleville West.

Girls’ Track and Field By Connor Smith
The varsity girls’ track and field team participated in the Illinois Top Times Meet. Senior Courtney Morgan not only set a personal record in the 3A girls’ shot put meet, but was also ranked #4 in the U.S. in her age group after the event. Both varsity and junior varsity continued to prepare for outdoor track season during Spring Break, as both teams have two meets this week: Wednesday at Naperville Central, and Saturday at home in the Metea Valley Mustang Invite.

Boys’ Water Polo By Sameen Ali
Boys’ Water Polo had a game against Waubonsie Valley the Tuesday before break, where JV won their game, as well as varsity, who won 15-6. The boys were also away at Niles West for a three-game tournament that weekend. The teams will take on St. Charles North at a home game this Wednesday.

Girls’ Water Polo By Kellie Foy
On Tuesday, March 21, the girls’ water polo team won against rival Waubonsie Valley at home, winning 11-6. The team has the Niles Varsity Tournament at Niles West this upcoming weekend.

Boys’ Lacrosse By Zainie Qureshi
The team spent their spring break in St. Louis competing in an event called “Ruggerfest.” They obtained third place in the tournament.

Girls’ Lacrosse By Kellie Foy
The girls’ lacrosse teams won their games on Saturday, March 25 against Eagles Co-op High School. The teams have a game on Wednesday away against Wheaton United.  

Boys’ Tennis By Liam Sweeney
The lineup was finalized for Boys’ Tennis last week. Their first game will be on Monday, April 3.

Badminton By Kellie Foy
The girls’ varsity badminton team recieved second place at the Hinsdale South Invitational. The JV team got second place at the Metea Invitational on Saturday, March 25. The JV and freshman teams had a tournament on Saturday, April 1. The teams have a game on Monday at home against Hinsdale Central, Tuesday away against rival Naperville Central, Thursday away against Wheaton North, and the Thornton Fractional South Quad tournament on Saturday at Thornton Fractional South High School.

Baseball By Sameen Ali
Over spring break, the team started off the season strong with a win against Hononegah High School on the freshman, sophomore, and varsity levels. The freshman boys lost against Romeoville on Tuesday, but the sophomores took an 18-3 win while varsity had a close 1-0 win. On Wednesday, varsity lost 2-3 to West Aurora, and the sophomores won 3-0, but then lost 0-7. The freshman also split, winning and losing once. Over the weekend, the freshman and sophomore levels each had two games once again and took a win and a loss against Oswego East, and varsity lost 2-4. The games with Bartlett and Plainfield East were cancelled, but will be rescheduled. The boys have a game against rival Neuqua Valley on Tuesday.

Softball By Peter Hinds
Unfortunately, all softball games that Metea would have participated in were cancelled due to the heavy rain over spring break. Because of this, our team has games planned every day except Friday during this week.

Girls’ Soccer By Hailey Hagemaster
Girls’ varsity soccer went 1-0 against Visitation and 3-3 against Colinsville in St. Louis this past weekend.

Volleyball By Peter Hinds
The volleyball team started off the weekend with a first place in copper division at the Joliet West tournament and ended with a second place in bronze at the WWS tournament. The team is still looking to work on consistency moving forward. They will play Geneva at home on Wednesday and St. Charles East at home on Thursday of this week.