The drawbacks of being too cool for school

[quote]By Megan Arnold (Features Editor)
Photo courtesy of fmdos.cl[/quote]

High school’s many stereotypical aspects have been documented and exaggerated through many movies, tv shows, music, and books. “Mean Girls” showed the horrific drama that can come about, “High School Musical” valued the ‘status quo’, and “A Cinderella Story” showed the dream of getting the popular varsity quarterback. But why has it become somewhat of a trend to be against or even angry regarding the ‘high school experience’?

Missing out on pep assemblies because people don’t believe it’s worth their time, wearing white at a black out game because they didn’t believe the theme was important, or not being apart of any clubs or activities because people think it’s ‘lame’ or ‘boring’ to support our school.

Yes, I’m all for originality and being yourself. But how has not supporting your school become the equivalent to being known as ‘adventurous’ and ‘alternative’. Sometimes, it’s best to conform. Becoming one with your peers in the stands at a hockey game or winning the almighty spirit stick.  

You can be as original and ‘hipster’ as you want, but it’s never not cool to support your school.

High school is known as ‘the best four years of your life’. So why not seize the moment?

Why not go to homecoming with a group of friends? Why not try out for the tennis team even though you’re not very good? Why not go to the regional championship basketball game, or hang out Downtown Naperville? Why not? Because high school is only four years, it’s not as important as everyone thinks, or because you just really don’t want to get out of bed?

Imagine in 30 years, when your 14 year-old is going to their high school orientation. All the nostalgic memories will come flooding back to you. Walking onto the soccer field for your first game freshman year, hanging out in the locker banks with someone who used to mean a lot to you, or the teacher who inspired you to apply to your dream school that you eventually graduated from.

Wouldn’t you rather have enjoyed every ounce of high school you could have?  Being able to tell your kids of how you won homecoming queen or served the winning point at your last volleyball game.

It’s high school, but it’s not just a bunch of books, anxiety, and honors classes. It’s four years of your life you won’t be able to get back, so make the most of it… even if it means wearing a grass skirt the entire day just to support your grade.

• M

mary kate and ashley olsen clothingMar 4, 2016 at 2:49 pm

There’s definately a lot to find out about this issue.
    I really like all of the points you have made.