Why Asian kids can’t tell their parents about their social lives

Why Asian Kids Cant Tell Their Parents About Their Social Lives

By Sushi Suresh

For every Asian kid, there are the age-old  questions we’ve all heard. Some of my favorites include: “Aren’t you just naturally smart?”, or “Why can’t you hang out?”, or “It’s Saturday, why are you studying?”

Despite these being stereotypes that I claim to hate, I can’t help but agree with them. The reason our households are so different is because we were raised on a set of more restrictive rules. Our parents were brought up in an older generation where they were told that they were the ones who were going to have to change their family’s status by moving to America. It was the generation where gender roles were more prominent than ever. It was the generation that worked their butts off to get where they are today. So, if you’re a first generation kid in the good ol’ USA, then good luck getting the natural freedoms that your non-Asian friends have every day. Our parents believe success comes with more work and little to no play.

It’s not that our parents are tyrants, they’re great! They’re only looking out for us. But in our cases, sometimes what we do is better done and not said. As long as we keep our social lives in the dark while continuing to be well rounded students by keeping up our GPAs, excelling in our extra curricular music ensembles, and killing our performance in sports; I think they’re fine with knowing the bare minimum.

I try to tell my parents as much as possible, but sometimes things seem so miniscule to me that I don’t let them know. Like the first time I walked to the park with my friends by myself, they found out a week later and grounded me because I didn’t tell them. I got grounded for going to the park-as a child. And don’t even get me started on grandparents. I love them, but we had to convince them that “The Addams Family”, where I have to stage kiss a boy, was just a three day choir concert because we didn’t want them to freak out if they even considered coming.

I’m not saying our lives are too secretive and scandalous to tell them anything, because they’re not. We can’t tell our parents that we want to  simply go on a date with someone because that’s so out of their realm. They never dated, they just admired from afar. As I type that out, I realize that sounds like they just stalked each other, but I promise there’s more to it.

Their parents were even more strict and uncomfortable with social lives than they are now. I’ve learned from experience. Waiting to tell my parents about something they’d be bewildered by about two months after it happens is the best possible method. In hindsight, what I’ve done just doesn’t seem so bad to them.

We live in different cultures, different dimensions, and as long as we live under their roofs, we live under their rules and disclose as little information as possible.

View Comments (26)

• L

Lance DolanMay 17, 2016 at 9:08 am

Lets start a petition to bring back curly fries.

Reply
  • M

my houseMay 10, 2016 at 1:50 pm

I don’t think this is specifically just an Asian problem. Many other cultures experience the same thing

Reply
  • M

Megan ArnoldMay 10, 2016 at 1:45 pm

The person who wrote this story and the person who wrote the casual racism story are different people…

Reply
  • Y

yikesMay 10, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Asians aren’t the only people who have strict parents. I’m white and my parents are the same way. This argument is dumb

Reply
  • C

Concerned Metea StudentMay 10, 2016 at 10:17 am

The reason that this is casual racism is because of the before posted article about casual racism. It shows hypocrisy and lessens the credibility of this site. If you can say that this isn’t casual racism things like “I’m white, so I can’t dance” isn’t a casual racist thing. But because earlier you had that article, it is now deemed racist on this site. The political correctness is too strong on this site sometimes but now it is wavering. I would like their to be an open freedom to all subjects without having to be politically correct all the time. But because this site has been made liberal and it now has a quest to make things politically correct this post is casually racist.

Reply
  • M

Mr. LizardMay 10, 2016 at 9:05 am

If you believe that Asian parents are too serious about their child’s lives, then you should take a gander at the mind control techniques of Lizard parents over us…

Reply
    • M

Moral HeroMay 10, 2016 at 10:33 am

I know, right? I am part Tree Frog and part Bear, but my social life is constantly being attacked by this casual racism. Life in the pond is not easy as a bear and the other frogs laugh at me on twitter. This is actually offending me. #LiberalBias

Reply
  • S

SalharMay 10, 2016 at 7:33 am

know yourself know your worth

Reply
  • P

Perturbed Metea StudentMay 10, 2016 at 7:31 am

Casual Racism huh?

Reply
  • L

Life LessonsMay 9, 2016 at 1:27 pm

The article title is misleading. People nowadays don’t know how to properly word their sentences. I know this from experience. A single moment taken to think about how you effect the person you are talking to then say what you have to say in a way that will NOT be misunderstood

Reply
  • D

DATBOYMay 9, 2016 at 1:17 pm

lol people are going to tear this article apart. I just have to sit back and watch. XD

Reply
    • P

Perturbed Metea StudentMay 10, 2016 at 7:33 am

WADDUP

Reply
  • D

Don't Worry About ItMay 9, 2016 at 11:55 am

What is the point of this even smh

Reply
  • Y

Yo best friend homie gMay 9, 2016 at 11:11 am

Sushi is not stereotyping, nor is she being racist. She’s reflecting on her own life experiences in her own cultural community. She IS asian, and she lives THE ASIAN LIFE. White people always need to get mad about something.

Reply
    • P

Perturbed Metea StudentMay 10, 2016 at 7:38 am

Why do you feel the need to play identity politics?

Reply
  • E

El ChapoMay 9, 2016 at 10:23 am

I do not agree with da statements given here

Reply
  • S

stMay 9, 2016 at 9:18 am

Reply
  • W

welpMay 6, 2016 at 2:38 pm

you said you hated stereotypes but that is literally this entire thing

Reply
  • A

a person that is right all the timeMay 6, 2016 at 2:35 pm

its all just a parent thing nothing more and that’s it really

Reply
  • S

SOOOOOOOOOO TUREMay 6, 2016 at 2:05 pm

As a Asian child I agree with everything here, from not being able to leave the house to not telling them about our social life. I think the only part missing was if you get caught talking to another Asian kid of the opposite gender, that can be deadly. But still a great article

Reply
  • Y

YeezyMay 6, 2016 at 12:53 pm

I’d like to point out that this article is EXTREMELY casually racist

Reply
  • A

AnonMay 6, 2016 at 12:49 pm

I like the rice that asians make 😀

Reply
  • I

Ian NeidenbachMay 6, 2016 at 12:03 pm

SMH I’d be in Guantanamo Bay with Asian parents. I have a great load of respect for those who have to strategize to stay out after 9 on a Friday.

Reply
  • Q

Qiyuan ZhouMay 6, 2016 at 11:55 am

You right you right

Reply
  • A

A Brown BoyMay 6, 2016 at 11:25 am

I think that this article was not effective in its argument as it could have been. Yes, Asian parents do not hold the same values as American parents so Asian children, in general, are not able to engage in some social activities such as hanging out, dating, or other activities. I believe what this article failed to miss was that Asian parents fear the discipline that may occur if they are found engaging in such activities. Moreover, I think the argument itself is too simplistic. You explained why Asian parents don’t trust their children but not how that manifests in their children’s lives: drugs, secret dating, alcohol, lying. Although Asian children are taught a certain code of values by their parents, they also want to earn the respect and meet the expectations of their American counterparts so they deceive to do so. This balance of meeting both expectations is difficult for Asian students and as a result, their social lives are extremely unique. The article had interesting anecdotes, familiar to any Asian student, I just think the article could have been more geared to how students lead their lives as a result – with their parents, friends, and teachers.

Reply
  • N

NoMay 6, 2016 at 11:11 am

This article is ridiculous. I’m a white male and I don’t tell my parents about my social life. Most parents these days want their children to get good grades and get upset when you go places without telling them. Its not a race thing its just good parenting

Reply