Farewell Triday: Kayla Hurst, Jack Hurst, Caroline Hurst

Where are you going to college?

Caroline:  Augustana College

Kayla: Saint Louis University

Jack: Marquette University

What major?

Caroline:  Animal Science / Biology

Kayla: Nursing

Jack: Business

Why did you choose that school?

Caroline: Augustana College has a very strong Pre-Veterinary program that is combined with the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign College of Veterinary Medicine. With this program I can go to Augustana for three years and UIUC for the next four, receiving both degrees. I also wanted to go to a smaller college and get the opportunity to play varsity volleyball.

Kayla: SLU has a really good nursing program and it is direct admit, so I will get to take nursing classes beginning my freshmen year rather than my junior or senior year. Also, the campus is really pretty.

Jack: Though both of my parents went to Marquette, I chose this university because I really liked its business school and since I got into this Pre-Law Scholars Program, which basically extends me admission into their law school as well. Being a lawyer has always been a dream of mine, so I knew that this was a great academic and financial opportunity I couldn’t pass up!

How does it feel to be away from each other?

Caroline: It will be hard at first, but I think that it will be good for us to be away from each other. We have been so close for the past 18 years, so it will be a change to be on our own. However, I will miss seeing their faces everyday and it will be weird to not be around them so often.

Kayla: I think it will be hard at the beginning because we have always been so close, but I think the distance will allow us to grow as individuals.

Jack: Sad, to say the least! My sisters have been my partners-in-crime since the very beginning, so it’s going to be hard not seeing their faces in the hallway next year or being in a classroom just down the hall. Yet, I think that after spending 18 years with each other, it’s time that we figure things out by ourselves, but knowing they are a phone-call away makes this process easier.

Why did you choose that major?

Caroline:  I’ve always liked all of my science classes and wanted to go into medicine. At the same time, however, I wanted to do something with animals too, because I just love being around them. So, I think that Animal Science was the best way for me to combine both of my passions.

Kayla: I’ve always been interested in Health Sciences and I wanted a major in which I could use to help people. Nursing is really broad and there is a lot of possible career opportunities which will give me a lot of options exiting college.

Jack: Ever since I was little, I knew that I loved to talk and help other people, so I’ve always wanted to find a career choice that would allow me to make meaningful relationships and assist others. That being said, after researching both majors, I knew that Business and Law gave me a way to do this, and fit well with my personality and interest in the corporate and legal world.

What about college are you excited about?

Caroline: Playing volleyball, taking different classes, and being on my own.

Kayla: Meeting new people, living in a new city, and taking interesting classes.

Jack: At Marquette, I’m excited about meeting new people of course, but also living in an entirely new place [Milwaukee], taking challenging courses, and learning more about what life is like without my two sisters.

What is your favorite memory from high school?

Caroline: First set of senior night for volleyball.

Kayla: Jack getting hit in the head with a soda can freshmen year at his first football game.

Jack: My favorite memory from high school would have to be my senior year homecoming because I had a great time dancing and hanging out with my friends.

Advice for the underclassmen?

Caroline: Work hard, but remember to have fun.

Kayla: Don’t be lazy and actually study for the SAT/ACT. Be nice to people.

Jack: Make good relationships with your teachers and classmates!